Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Temptation Tuesday :: Babies!!

Babies? Yes, babies. And not just because I am obsessed with finding the cutest baby girl clothes ever made. Putting the word 'baby' in the title of a category romance is a great way to increase sales. Babies are a temptation...especially when we don't have to deal with them in reality.

Soon enough I'll be mired in sleep deprivation, dirty diapers, and more laundry than childless people can possibly fathom. But...until reality hits me upside the head, I'm still floating in the fun of all things baby.

Just look at the cover for Jackie Braun's April release, Expecting a Miracle . Wouldn't you love to have that snapshot up on your fridge? I personally plan on copying the photo on Trish Wylie's Project Parenthood once my baby gets here. Baby covers are just too cute!

Baby themes are ever popular in romance novels. The sweet little baby ups the ante, making readers doubly sure there will be a happily ever after at the end.

The infants in books are either sick (the medical stories), unexpected (the passion stories), or considered by half the couple to be an impediment to true love (the homey stories). Of course, all the obstacles are overcome, which gives anyone who's ever had a bump on the road to a happy baby hope that it will work out.

I think some women like to read the baby books to look back fondly on raising their own babies. Just as our heroes are idealized, the babies rarely have colic, reflux, or supersonic gas. They are always cute and cherubic, making every character warm to them instantly. Which is how we think of babies before reality pukes on us.

For now I am content to shop for baby clothes (the pinker the better), daydream of all the cozy moments I'll get with my girl, and practice by cuddling my friends' babies until I get my own. Reality will come in its own time.

Jenna is hard at work on her next title for Mills & Boon Modern Heat. In the meantime, Her Cinderella Complex is available with a millionaire, secretary, engagement of convenience, private island, and a hot pool sccene.

Check out her website, or blog.

2 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention babies in category romances as I am currently slaving over my fourth MX which involves an ever so slightly unplanned pregnancy. Turns out babies (or even bumps) are almost as much trouble to write as they are to have in real life. Adding a baby to the mix causes so many problems I hadn't even thought of. I feel like I'm trying to give birth every day at the moment sorting out all the different levels of conflict between this pair! This is agony! Give me supersonic gas any day (the baby's not mine mind you)

    Good luck with both your current projects, Jenna.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...before reality pukes on us."

    Loved that! So true.

    ReplyDelete