Friday, March 21, 2008

Friday Film Night: Hard to Forget

Here at the Pink Heart Society we are delighted to have Silhouette Desire authors, Bronwyn Jameson and Maxine Sullivan, reviewing the Harlequin movies now available on DVD.

This month the reviews continue with Maxine Sullivan talking about Hard to Forget, a movie loosely based on a Harlequin Superomance called ‘So Hard to Forget’ by Evelyn Crowe and published in May 1997.

This movie starts off with a bang that is definitely hard to forget. And for PI, Max Warner, so is the woman supposedly killed in that explosion. Hired by the dead woman’s mother to prove the daughter’s new husband killed her for her money, Max becomes fascinated by all he learns about the young woman and starts to believe she is still alive. But unable to prove it, he is about to give up when he sees her picture on a poster for South Africa - and that leads him on a trail from Chicago, to South Africa, to an island in the Aegean Sea.

For all that, Max is still astounded when he does find the heroine. Now named Nicky, she is helping her father run their safari business. Nicky seems to be hiding something and we’re left to wonder if she has amnesia or is just protecting herself by hiding from her husband and scared to trust anyone.

As one would expect, the African scenery is beautiful and dramatic, with a tribal dance and the safari adding local flavour. And perhaps that primitive feel was the reason for the rather hot love scene between Max and Nicky at a waterfall. I’ve seen hotter love scenes on television at times, and read many love scenes in our romance novels, but this one took me by surprise. Perhaps it was the nudity and suggestive poses as they made love on a rock and then swam naked together in the river, but I just didn’t expect a Harlequin movie to be so…um, well, sexy. Colour me surprised. :)

There’s a lot going on in this movie. So much so, I didn’t quite feel an overwhelming romance between the hero and heroine apart from the love scene. Yes, Max showed he was intrigued by Nicky, and yes, Nicky was attracted to Max, but it didn’t appear to me to be the greatest love story ever told.

I won’t give away the spoiler but the story took a twist that surprised me. It was only later that I re-read the blurb on the back of the DVD cover and saw they’d given away the twist anyway.

The hero was played by Tim Dutton who reminded me very much of a young Tom Conti. Polly Shannon was the heroine who was feisty, independent and thin. Very thin. :)

Nicky’s father was played by Chad Everett, a heartthrob from the sixties. And the mother who hired Max to investigate her daughter’s death was Lois Maxwell, whom you may remember as Miss Moneypenny in the early James Bond movies.

Yet I did enjoy this movie, even if the story in the actual book was about a burned-out PI who goes to Montana for a fly-fishing vacation, and comes across a woman who is a dead ringer for a woman he has been investigating.

Putting that aside, the movie had intrigue, action, and romance, and I would give it 7 out of 10, which isn’t too bad in the scheme of things. I do love the Harlequin movies but they will never win major awards, and I don’t judge them on that criteria anyway. But they do make great midday movies. :)

Maxine’s latest book, Mistress & A Million Dollars, was released in the US and India (yes, India!) in March and will be available in Aus/NZ in April. It is the third book in the Silhouette Desire “Diamonds Down Under” series.

If you’d like to win a copy of Maxine’s second Desire, The Tycoon’s Blackmailed Mistress, then please share with us a good movie you’ve watched lately and she’ll choose a winner at random. And don’t forget to visit Diamonds Down Under for more chances to win books, editor critiques, and one of those things that sparkle. Yes, that gorgeous diamond pendant!


  1. Ooh, I just watched How to Lose a Guy In 10 Days.

    The film is worth it just for the tissue and Mr Sniffles scene. But I so love the moment when he is on the balcony and she's down below, they're out of each other's earshot, and he says 'Ooh, you are already falling in love with me.' She waves and simpers and says, 'I am going to make you wish you were dead.'

    Great fun film about a battle of the sexes.

  2. My daughter and I went to see 27 Dresses and it was really enjoyable.

  3. I haven't watched any chick flicks lately, but I just watched "30 Days Of Night". I loved it. Alot of people said it was the scarist vampire movie ever made. I didn't think it was scary, but I did think it was a very different spin on vampires. Makes me glad that I don't live in Alaska or I probably would have been scared because of my over active imagination. I now want to read all three of the books, the books are always so much better then the movies. I also just got watch Rob Zombies Halloween, that was a weird and bloody movie, but still good. Have a great weekend everyone.

  4. Hi ladies, and thanks for dropping by.

    Michelle, I've seen How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days and enjoyed it. I do love witty dialogue and yes, that battle between the sexes.

    Maureen, I haven't seen 27 Dresses yet but it's a movie I want to see.

    Rebekah, ooh, I can't watch creepy movies. My husband and sons have tried over time to get me to watch them but I end up most of the movie with my hand in front of my face so I can't see the screen. :)

    I love watching romantic comedies and all sorts of romances as long as they have a happy ending. I recently watched The Holiday with Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Kate Winslet and Jack Black, and absolutely loved it. For me, it's a keeper.

    Happy Easter, everyone! I'll come back in a couple of hours and do a random drawing for my book.

  5. I just watched "Austin Powers" over the weekend. I've seen it over twenty times, but I still enjoy it. I think the first one is the best out of the three films. I think Elizabeth Hurley was the best female lead in those movies. One of the best scenes is when he's trying to explain his Swedish englarger pump.

  6. Jane, I've only seen bits and pieces of Austin Powers but it does look like a fun movie. And Elizabeth Hurley is quite beautiful, isn't she?

  7. Okay, I've done a random drawing by putting your names in a hat and blindfolding myself and... well, I didn't blindfold myself but I did draw Maureen's name out of the hat.

    Congratulations, Maureen! I'm happy to send you a copy of The Tycoon's Blackmailed Mistress. Please send me your snail mail address at and I'll pop it in the mail next week.

    Thanks, ladies, for dropping by. Have a great Easter.

  8. Best movie I've seen in ages and I can't miss any opportunity to plug it: JUNO. Not your standard romance, more like a YA with romance. The characters and dialogue are fabulous and quirky and the message is upbeat and positive and you're not beaten over the head with it. And the ending is just perfecto! (It won an Oscar this year for best screenplay and was nominated for best movie.)


  9. Bron, I've heard you mention JUNO before, so I must look out for it. Thanks for reminding me.