Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Male on Monday: James McAvoy

This month Ally is stealing a Brit for hero inspiration right out from under Natasha Oakley's nose. But only true love would make her do such a thing to a friend. She briongs you... James McAvoy.

This guy is not your typical hero. He's not 6' 2" (yep, Natasha, I'm with you that is officially the perfect hero height ;)). He's not empirically handsome. He’s scruffy. He doesn't have features seemingly carved from marble.

So what is he?

James is Scottish. He is uber talented and finally being recognised and given roles to accommodate said talent. And he is, according to me, one of the sexiest men on the planet. And I'm not the only one. See here for more love on the net.

So what is it about James McAvoy that engenders my love? Ahhh, let me count the ways…

It’s all about the kissable lips. And the dark hair. The five o'clock shadow. And the accent. The blue blue eyes help. They pierce you through the screen.

But its what is behind the blue blue eyes that makes my heart go aflutter. This is a man not afraid of emotion. Not afraid to cry, to fear, to hope, or to love. He plays characters with a depth of feeling that few actors could ever hope to muster without digging deep down inside of themselves in search of real emotion. And that’s a hard thing to ask of any one. Though those who can do it, can really do it, are the better artists for it.

James McAvoy is an artist. And five feet and seven inches worth of hottie to boot.

You might know him as Mr Tumnus in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Band of Brothers, or as Steve in the utterly brilliant BBC TV series Shameless (which is where I discovered him). He was the love interest in the terribly sweet Jane Austen biopic Becoming Jane and the true lead in the Oscar winning The Last King of Scotland. Oh yeah and he co-stars opposite Keira Knightley in the recent movie Atonement.

And you will see him in the upcoming Wanted alongside Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman. A man on the rise? To be sure…

In my research I discovered that a couple of years back he in fact married his Shameless co-star, the equally atypical Anne-Marie Duff which melted me little old heart. They were just heaven together on screen. She is nine years older than him. Big fat sigh coming from this end of the world.
More trivia? The James McAvoy website claims:

  • James attended the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
  • He moved to London at the age of 20 and shared digs with Jesse Spencer who plays Dr Chase on the TV show House.
  • His parents got divorced when he was seven. After his parents got divorced, he and his sister went to live with their grandparents and now his sister Joy is the lead singer in the Scottish girl group "Streetside"
  • Before carving out his career in film, television and theatre, he used to work in a bakery for about two years and before he went into acting, he wanted to join the Navy
  • James is a big fan of Celtic Glasgow
He was recently voted # 27 on fab movie mag Empire list of sexiest movie stars. As they said the guy exudes "charisma, magnestism and, dare we say it, a big dollop of sex appeal". And number 5 on People's Sexiest Man alive list!!! One behind Brad Pitt. They claim the Scottish actor "has fans swooning".

Am I swooning? Am I what?

Ally’s next book, FALLING FOR THE REBEL HEIR, is out in North America and the UK come March. She reckons the hero in that book, Hudson Bennington III, is also pretty darned swoonworthy.

To find out just how swoonworthy, pick up a copy from eHarlequin online now, or check your local bookstores next month!


  1. Ally,

    Great choice. And, for something completely different, I just recently saw him as a knife wielding chef in a very interesting adaptation of Macbeth. He was in the lead role and Richard Armitage was MacDuff!


  2. Oh Ally - thank you so much. You've started my week off in such a wonderful way. I was a bit late on the scene, only discovering James through Atonement, but have since acquainted myself with his backlist. I love the 'bonus features' section of his DVDs because its the only spot where you get to hear him speaking in his native Scottish tongue. Ohhh. I just thought of his tongue.

    I think I need a cigarette.

  3. Yessss, isn't he just faaabulous.

    The problem with him being in such a high profile movie means that now I have to share him. Grrr....

    Annie, was this MacBeth a movie? Did you get it at the video store? I wanna see it!!!


  4. Weren't all the ShakespeaRetolds fantastic?? Loved them all. James McAvoy is so nice, he was on Parky and he and David Tennant are such nice people: funny, kind, down to earth and so nice to look at. I also saw James in State of Play with John Simm (The Master from Doctor Who and Sam Tyler from Life on Mars) along with Bill Nighy, David Morrissey and Marc Warren. Such a fantastic mini series.

  5. Ally, yes it was a DVD, and very good. However, unlike every other Macbeth I've seen, I liked him and I didn't want him to go through with it! Normally the character leaves me cold. Fascinating setting in a restaurant kitchen. Instead of witches they had 3 garbage collectors who could foretell the future.


  6. Hmmm, James McAvoy, cute but he's such a baby. How old is he anyway? About 16? You see now I feel really old and frumpy.

  7. It's actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I am satisfied that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

    Also visit my weblog digger derricks

  8. I was wonԁerіng іf yοu evеr consiԁeгed chаnging thе layout οf уοuг blog?

    Іts verу well written; I love what youve got to ѕаy.
    But mауbе you cοuld a little more in thе waу of cοntent sο ρeople
    сould соnnect with it bеtter.
    Youve got аn awful lot of text for оnly having onе οr two іmages.
    Maybe you could ѕpace іt out bettеr?

    My site ; used boom trucks

  9. Thanks , I've just been looking for info about this subject for a long time and yours is the best I have found out till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure in regards to the source?

    Here is my webpage; http://blog.lishin.tcc.edu.tw/plog/trackbacks/1/1356
    Feel free to visit my site - click through the up coming article

  10. Thanks , I've just been looking for info about this subject for a long time and yours is the best I have found out till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure in regards to the source?

    Feel free to visit my web blog http://blog.lishin.tcc.edu.tw/plog/trackbacks/1/1356
    My site: click through the up coming article