Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tuesday Temptation - Reading Outside Your Comfort Zone

The new forums on eHarlequin are filled with great conversations. Just a few clicks can fill your mind with fun ideas, thoughts to ponder, and add to that list of books to be read...

Reading is a favorite past time of all of us at the PHS - I mean, why else would we be here? We love reading, the contact high of falling in love, the different locations and situations... but with life so busy and schedules so tight, many of us stick to what we know we'll like, never venturing out.

Category romance makes this easy. Series lines all have their own basic promise. It is comforting to pick up a book and know whether you'll laugh, cry, or need a cigarette.

But stepping out of your box and picking up a book you normally wouldn't can be thrilling. Reading authors who write for more than one line is a safe way to branch out. I love Julie Miller's Blaze novels, so started in on her Intrigues. I'm sure a lot of PHS readers started out with Trish, Ally & Nicola in Romance and have sidestepped into Modern Heat/Presents territory with them. It's fun to read something fresh and exciting.

Those of us who write can learn by reading outside our comfort zone. The pacing of a romantic suspense, the depth of a women's fiction, the focus of a novella, the steam rising from the pages of a spicier choice...it opens the mind and will keep your writing from ever going stale.

What about you? What was the last thing you read outside of your usual book choice? Tempted by a paranormal? Dabbling with switching from print to ebooks?

Jenna is hard at work on her next title for Mills & Boon Modern Extra. In the meantime, check out her website, or blog.


  1. My RITA reading is out of my normal zone, or at least some of it is. But I have to say I am not a paranormal girl but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Vivi Anna's Nocturnes. I am SO there. She has a great way of building a world and immersing you in it. Blood Secrets and Dark Lies were two of my favourite books of 07.

  2. My book review reading takes me outside of my comfort zone every month. Within categories, I'd say Leslie Kelly's One Wild Wedding Night since I don't usually read Blaze. I loved it and have added Ms. Kelly to my TBR list of authors.