Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Temptation Tuesday - Here Come The English Lads PART 2

Here Come The English Lads PART 2! As promised. This week at the Pink Heart Society our Natasha continues with her mission to convert the romance world to the charms of an English hero.

Now where was I????? I've been inundated with suggestions - not least from the Armitage Army which I feel gives me the opportunity to post, yet another, gratuitous picture of our Commander-in-Chief, Richard Armitage.

We have got his vital statistics sorted now, haven't we??? Born in Leicester, 22nd August, 1971, 6ft 2", voice that causes every sensible woman to self-combust ...



Moving on ... somewhat reluctantly ... we come to our Trish's own particular tipple - Rupert Penry-Jones. Born in London on 22nd September, 1970 and he's also 6ft 2". Recognise him from 'Spooks', 'Persuasion', 'Casanova' (where he got the girl but was her 'financial' choice!!)

Actually, I'm going to give you a second photo of him because I like this one of him in the car. There's a story in that one, I can feel it.

Next up is David Jude Law. Born in Lewisham, London, 29th December, 1972. He's a smidge under 5ft 11".

He's quoted as saying, "I have no problem with nudity. My friend Ewan and I are starkers in most of our films".

Now isn't that interesting! From a research point of view - obviously. Ewan being Ewan McGregor who was his flatmate for a time. No picture of Ewan here though because he's Scottish. You'll have to come back for my Burns Night post for that!

I think we'll have to put Jude in our flawed hero needing redemption file if we're to turn Jude into a successful category romance hero. He started well with, "Success, and even life itself, wouldn't be worth anything if I didn't have my wife and children by my side. They mean everything to me". Since then he's been divorced from Sadie Frost, had an on-off-on-off relationship with Sienna Miller and the very public Nanny-gate incident fully documented in the English tabloids ....

Toby Stephens. Born 21st April, 1969, in Middlesex - where all the best people are born!! (I'm sorry! Did I say that out loud???) 5ft 11", doesn't smoke, plays the guitar and loves to eat curry. All fine with me.

I have to admit I am carrying a torch for him at the moment. I've just seen Toby in 'The Country Wife', a restoration comedy, in London and there's enough of the actress still in me to fall for an actor simply because they are good at their job. I do know that they don't necessarily make the best long term partners. I've been burned enough in years gone by. But .... Anyway, he was very sexy! And I can't help it!!!!!!

Here's an actor I really ought to nominate as a Male on Monday - Julian Ovenden. Born 5-6-1976 (Anyone happen to know whether that's 5th June in UK speak or 6th May in NA speak???) in Sheffield. Here in the UK we probably know him best as Foyle's pilot son, Andrew, in 'Foyle's War'. In NA his most recent role is as Eric Burden in 'Cashmere Mafia' and he's a recurring character in 'Related'.

5ft 10" tall, so too short for Trish. Wonder if she might want to re-think that!!!

His dad, Canon John Ovenden, is a chaplain to the Queen. At the age of seven Julian became a chorister at St Paul's Cathedral, then won a music scholarship to Eton and later read music at Oxford before undertaking a classical theatre training at the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art.

Next stop is Clive Owen. Born in Keresley, Coventry on 3rd October, 1964. He's 6ft 2 and a half! And has been married to the same woman, Sarah-Jane Fenton, since 1995. I like that in a hero.

You might like to pause now and have a look this BMW commercial. Kind of fun!



Then there's Rufus Frederick Sewell, my Male on Monday choice for November 2006, but primarily here for Kate Hardy! Born 29th October, 1967, in Twickenham, London - which also just happens to be in Middlesex (I told you it's a great place to be born). Rufus is a straight 6ft tall.

Currently he can be seen reprising his performance of Jan in Tom Stoppard's 'Rock and Roll' on Broadway. You've got until March 2008 to catch it. It was a huge success here in London. See it if you can.

"It's important to me to be in a relationship when I'm in one, but I'm not someone who needs to be in a relationship. I don't actively look for it, I've never been like that. I've gone through long periods without being with someone and got a bit lonely, but not for a while."

I can so write that.

And now for the much googled Orlando Bloom. In fact, he's Orlando Jonathan Blanchard Bloom. 5ft 11" tall. Born 13th January, 1977, in Canterbury, Kent.

In 1998, whilst studying at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Orlando fell from a rooftop terrace and broke his back. It was feared he would be permanently paralysed, but by 1999 he was back on stage and in the audience was one Peter Jackson.

Remember him????? The rest, as they say, is movie history ....

Ally and I have fought over actor Jeremy Northam. In the end I let her have him, publically anyway, as her Male on Monday choice back in April 2007. Privately I gazed fondly at him while writing my 'next-to-be-released-book' and turned him into a very sexy auctioneer called Daniel Ramsay in what will be called 'Wanted: White Wedding'.

Trish, as it happens, really should marry him - if only he wasn't already married - because after much searching we discovered she had a 92% biorythm compatability with Jeremy Northam. I'm a percentage behind. Ally scored a pathetic 48% so has to relinguish him.

Anyway, he was born Jeremy Phillip Northam on 1st December, 1961, in Cambridge, England. And is 6ft 2".

Rupert Friend. Born 1st October, 1981.

His most prominent role to date is as Mr Wickham in the recent movie adaptation of 'Pride and Prejudice'. Which, of course, is where he met his famous movie star girlfriend, Keira Knightley. I think we're bound to see lots more of Rupert over the next few years as he only left Webber Douglas in 2004.

I can't really compile a list of sexy English actors and miss off Colin Firth, particularly since he's been brought to my attention by 'spangleann' of the Armitage Army, though to be scrupulously honest I haven't really fallen for him as anything other than Darcy (albeit in both regency and contemporary incarnations).

He was born on 10th September, 1960, in Hampshire, England.

"Forget "trying" to be sexy. That's just gruesome." Not a bad maxim to live by!

Then there's the very lovely Nathaniel Parker, born 18th May, 1960, in London.

Now I really like him. Who wouldn't fall instantly in love with a man who says, "I have always thought women were the superior sex. Witnessing childbirth confirmed it for me"?

If you're still wavering go search out the 1998 TV adaptation of 'Far From The Madding Crowd'. Nathaniel is Gabriel Oak and he's wonderful. The expression in his eyes when he asks Bathsheba to marry him is the kind of thing that sends any self-respecting romance novelist scurrying to find her laptop.

6ft 1".


And how about Sean Bean? Shaun Mark Bean was born on 17th April, 1959, in Sheffield, England. Like Julian, he's just 5ft 10" for those of you for whom height is a deal breaker.

"A common misperception of me is...that I am a tough, rough northerner, which I suppose I am really. But I'm pretty mild-mannered most of the time. It's the parts that you play I guess. I don't mind it. I'm not a tough guy. I'd like to act as a fair, easy-going, kind man at some point."

I'm not even tiring ..... Have I won yet???????? Or shall we go on to Here Come The English Lads Part 3?

With love
Natasha

This July saw the start of a brand-new series in the Presents line - The Royal House of Niroli.

"The Mediterranean island of Niroli has prospered for centuries under the Fierezza men. But now, as the King’s health declines, and his 2 sons have been tragically killed, the crown is in jeopardy. Who will rule? "



Book 1: The Future King's Pregnant Mistress - Penny Jordan
Book 2: Surgeon Prince ... Ordinary Wife - Melanie Milburne
Book 3: Bought By the Billionaire Prince - Carol Marinelli
Book 4: The Tycoon's Princess Bride - Natasha Oakley
Book 5: Expecting His Royal Baby - Susan Stephens
Book 6: the Prince's Forbidden Virgin - Robyn Donald
Book 7: Bride By Royal Apointment - Raye Morgan
Book 8: A Royal Bride At The Shiekh's Command - Penny Jordan

Natasha's book, 'The Tycoon's Princess Bride', is available NOW in the UK and North America - and is a Romantic Times Magazine Top Pick and nominated for the Romantic Times Best Presents Award of 2007.

Come visit Natasha at her blog!

16 comments:

  1. I love it! Give me any kind of British/Irish/Scottish man. Love them all, love the accents, from Aberdeen down to Cornwall, Cockney to the the oh so proper BBC guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that list was the most fun I've had all day! Thanks for the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's quite a list!! Thanks for putting it together, Natasha. For me Jeremy Northam, Sean Bean, and Clive Owen are the ones. Although, here is a confession... I've got a little bit of a thing for Michael Kitchen as Foyle--forget his son! :)

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder....is N trying to set a record for posts that mention Richard Armitage?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on Michael Kitchen, Kate. It's the voice. And the stillness. And the sense that if you were with him you'd be just fine!!

    And, Jenna, yes! :) How could you suppose otherwise???? I must live up to the obsession Trish has kindly declared to world I have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too, Natasha! (Richard Armitage...Richard Armitage...Richard Armitage)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done Natasha.

    Clive Owen is a big winner in my book, and Nathaniel Parker has always been a favourite since he appeared in Mel Gibson's Hamlet. Too touching.

    And thank-you for mentioning my name and jeremy Northam's in the same paragraph. That can't help but give me a lovely thrill.

    Okay, off I go to gze into RA's eyes as I write my next Romance...

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo can we Samuel West in the next post. Purrrlease!!!

    Nathaniel Parker is a gorgeous, we were at the same tiny country gig last year. And his wife is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Biddy, we can only have Samuel West IF you can find a good photo of him. 'Google' wasn't that forthcoming when I looked. Our Sam has done too much theatre recently - if there ever can be such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic post Natasha and just what I needed as I'm currently embroiled in writing my first British hero under pain of death from my editor (eventhough my illegitimate English lord does have an american mum - couldn't quite give up the ghost there).

    Have to admit I'd never rated Richard Armitage until I switched on to the last ten minutes of Robin Hood over Christmas and saw him SPOILER ALERT HERE thrust a sword into Maid Marian (and we're not talking in euphemisms here!) That was him right? Talk about a bad boy hero, and yes, it is perverse but I still preferred him to that little pipsqueak who plays Robin.

    Now, to the rest. Sorry, Jude Law, Yuk! Same goes for that Penry-Jones chap. Far too posh. But I've seen Clive Owen at our local puppet theatre with his daughter (bless) and he's absolutely gorgeous in the flesh and I've interviewed Nathaniel Parker (sadly over the phone) and he was a honey. Gave me some good quotes even though I'm sure he was bored to tears.

    Can't wait for your next post. More inspiration please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely collection you have there! Got to heartily agree with Toby Stephens - my current favourite from your list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Natasha, thank you for the hot flash and the inspiration. Despite the hunky lineup, I have to pick Colin Firth as my favorite. There are sexier choices, but he always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. well done Natasha! thats a fine collection! we Brits our very proud of our hunks... especially Richard Armitage!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Richard Armitage is WELSH born in Pembrokeshire, North Wales.

    ReplyDelete