Monday, January 28, 2008

Male on Monday - Ewan McGregor



This Monday at The Pink Heart Society our very own Natasha Oakley is back to tempt us with a Scottish hero - Ewan McGregor...

I'm assuming, after Burns Night, you're still in the mood for 'all-things-Scottish'? Yes???

How about Ewan Gordan McGregor? Born 31 March, 1971 in Crief, Perthshire and pictured here with his wife, Eve Mavrakis, at a charity Burns Night Supper.

Anyone have any further information to report on the 'what do real Scottish men wear underneath their kilts' question?

So, where were we? Ewan. Pronounced 'you-an'.

Supported by his teacher parents to leave school at 16 and pursue his acting dreams, Ewan came to London a year later to train at the Guildhall School of Speech and Drama.

"My brother is two years older than me and he was brilliant at everything, it seemed. He was captain of the cricket and rugby teams. We had this rather archaic system of head boys and prefects at my school. I was in my fourth year - in Scotland we finish school in our sixth year - and my brother had become head boy and brilliant at everything: academia, sports. In fact, all the things I wasn't good at.

"Then he left and I couldn't get my head round anything, so I became depressed and got in trouble a lot. I remember my mother driving me one night through heavy rain, with the windscreen wipers going. It was the first half term of my fifth year and she said that she'd spoken to my dad and that I could leave school if I wanted to. I'd only assumed that I'd have to stick it out until I was 18, but here I was being offered the chance to leave at 16. My whole world opened up. I couldn't believe it. And I was out, as soon as she said those words."

(Brother Colin is now an RAF Pilot.)

Shortly before graduating from Guildhall Ewan won the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter's 1993 six-part Channel 4 series 'Lipstick on Your Collar' and he's really not been out of work since.

He made his movie debut in 'Being Human' in 1993 and followed that in 1994 with 'Shallow Grave'.

In 1995 he made a guest appearance on Kavanagh QC, a British TV series, and met Eve. On 22 July 1995, in a village in France, the couple married. They have two daughters together, Clara Mathilde, born February 1996, and Esther Rose, born November 2001, and in April 2006 they adopted Jamiyan, a 4-year-old girl from Mongolia.

1996 was a bumper year. Not only did he become a dad for the first time he also played heroin addict Mark Renton in 'Trainspotting', a role that brought him to the attention of an international audience.

He was also Frank Churchill to Gwyneth Paltrow's 'Emma', Andy in 'Brassed Off' and Jerome in 'The Pillow Book' that same year.

Now I think we really ought to discuss the nudity question.

"I'm doing my bit for the women's movement. The women have always been naked in movies and now I'm just desperate to take my clothes off as much as possible."

The truth is he simply doesn't care. If it makes sense for the story he'll do it. Bet he gets bored talking about it in interviews. :)

"My dad saw my full package in The Pillow Book (1996) and said 'I'm glad to see you inherited one of my major attributes'."

Then there was 'Nightwatch', 'The Serpent's Kiss', 'A Life Less Ordinary', 'Desserts', 'Velvet Goldmine' and 'Little Voice'. Which brings us to 1999 and his first outting at Obi-Wan Kanobi in 'Star Wars Episode 1: 'The Phantom Menance'.

"That was my challenge - to be a young Alec Guinness. People would come up and say to me, "You sound a bit like Alec Guinness. Did that just happen?" No! It's my job, you know? The thrilling bit about it was I immersed myself in Alec Guinness movies, and I found this great one called The Card (1952). God, it's a brilliant film."

I love hearing him talk about filming the Star Wars movies. He's very funny. (And, yes, they are on YouTube!)

Here's Ewan on Parkinson in November last year talking about all kinds of things:





Star Wars aside you might have seen Ewan in 'Rogue Trader', 'Eye of the Beholder', 'Nora', 'Moulin Rouge', 'Black Hawk Down', 'Down With Love', 'Young Adam', 'Big Fish', 'The Island', 'Stay', 'Scenes of a Sexual Nature', 'Miss Potter', 'Stormbreaker' and the very recent Woody Allen movie, 'Cassandra's Dream'.

And that doesn't include his 'voice' work, theatre work or the motorcycle trips he makes with Charley Boorman. It's a punishing workload - and, mostly, he takes his family with him.

Oh and he's a smidge under 5ft 11". So, what d'you think?

With love
Natasha

This July saw the start of a brand-new series in the Presents line - The Royal House of Niroli.

"The Mediterranean island of Niroli has prospered for centuries under the Fierezza men. But now, as the King’s health declines, and his 2 sons have been tragically killed, the crown is in jeopardy. Who will rule? "



Book 1: The Future King's Pregnant Mistress - Penny Jordan
Book 2: Surgeon Prince ... Ordinary Wife - Melanie Milburne
Book 3: Bought By the Billionaire Prince - Carol Marinelli
Book 4: The Tycoon's Princess Bride - Natasha Oakley
Book 5: Expecting His Royal Baby - Susan Stephens
Book 6: the Prince's Forbidden Virgin - Robyn Donald
Book 7: Bride By Royal Apointment - Raye Morgan
Book 8: A Royal Bride At The Shiekh's Command - Penny Jordan

Natasha's book, 'The Tycoon's Princess Bride', is available NOW in the UK and North America - and is a Romantic Times Magazine Top Pick and nominated for the Romantic Times Best Presents Award of 2007.

Come visit Natasha at her blog!

10 comments:

  1. He is lovely. Loved Trainspotting (although the loo scene was a bit rough) and Moulin Rouge.

    If Scots are in the spotlight, how about a review of James McAvoy. He was quite crushworthy in Atonement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, Ewan, a sweetie but I have to admit he doesn't quite do it for me — more like a younger brother than man candy ... Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because we went to see Guys and Dolls in the West End and he didn't turn up. Still his understudy was fantastic - and a really good singer, something that Ewan (bless him) is not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not allowed to 'do' James McAvoy. Ally bagged him. See a pattern anyone??? Come a fight I just give them up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, come on Ally. How would it be if we all liked the same man? The books would start to get a bit boring! Give him a chance - you just might like him.
    The bit in Atonement where he crys when reunited with Keira Knightley's character - I just melted. And I even watched all of Becoming Jane (which I didnt enjoy that much) just to see him. He does a great reading in the library about mating swallows that makes Jane blush.
    Whataya say Ally? Pleeeease?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, it's *much* worse than that, Kirsty. It's not that Ally doesn't like him, it's that she WON'T share. Keeping him for herself. It's Jeremy Northam all over again. AND she's moved in on my Richard Armitage ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirsty, god I hope you see this!! I looooove James McAvoy, obsviously the term "bagged" means different things than it does in my world. I put dibs on him, I told Natasha she COULDN'T do him as I loooove him.

    Settled? Good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm not so sure. You keep claiming you've based one of your heroes on assorted actors and I can't have them. It better be a brilliant post when it comes, that's all I will say. LOTS of lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The confusion of Aussie slang!
    I thought you meant bag as in to 'bag someone out (you dont like them)' whereas you meant bag as in 'put him in a bag and keep him to yourself for ever and ever ahhahahahahah.' Does that sound right? Also known as bags in our family (I bags the front seat, etc).
    Anyway, I hope someone will put something about James somewhere so that I can drool over it. He is so terribly cute that I think I could overlook the fact he is only 5'7''.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you're sounding like Trish, Kirsty. :) Let's focus on the fact he's married an older woman. I do like that in a man!!! As has my Ewan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. EWAN IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOTT AND I LOVE EVERY MOVIE HE IS IN AND I WOULD LOVE TO MEET HIM. EVERYTIME I HEAR HIM SING AND WHACHING HIM IN HIS FILMS MY HEART BEATS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFAST AND WHEN IM SAD ANGERY OR STRESSED I WHATCH HIM OR LISTEN TO HIM SING AND HE MAKES ME FEEL BETTER. AND AND HE ALWAYS BRIGHTENS MY DAY AND HE'S GOT THE MOST BEAUTYFUL EYES IVE EVER SEEN. AND IM GLAD HE QUIT SMOKING AND DRINKING AND HIS HEALTH IS DOING OK AND HE'S MADE IT THROUGH THE TOUGH TIMES AND HE IS HAPPY AND SURVING IN THIS FRUSTRATING WORLD WE ARE ALL LIVING IN .

    ReplyDelete