Thursday, November 22, 2007

Writers Wednesday :: Getting in the Mood to Write

When I grew up I wanted to be the next Peter Weir (a great Australian film diretor for those of you not on this side of the ocean). As such, I spent my formative post-University years working on film-sets, none of which any of you would have seen ;). But that grounding meant that I still come at writing a book from the angle of managing such a production.


call sheet


Be on set on time!


My writing day begins at midday. Before then I can do as I please: check emails, sleep, blog, watching Grey’s Anatomy repeats, eat, sleep, stare into space, “research” pictures of Marat Safin…


But at midday, I am at my desk, ready to turn off all other distractions, and write. If not, the producer inside of me gives me quite a rousing.


location


Discover which location is best for your story.


While my timeline is decided, the location of my writing day is not. I have on office, my set if you like, and while everything there is familiar, comfortable and conducive to writing, sometimes it feels stale. Sometimes it helps to go out on location; with my Alphasmart on the sofa, my laptop at a local café, or a pen and paper in the backyard. I mix up my writing locations to keep my muse inventive.


casting


Keep pictures of your hero and heroine within eyesight.


Many of you I’m sure do this already – google pictures of movie stars and the like. Well, it’s not just a good excuse to keep pictures of hot guys on file. The right casting works. Finding that one perfect photo which encapsulates your hero or heroine is a godsend.


But be careful, the wrong casting can be disastrous. Picture Gone With the Wind starring Groucho Marx. Or Indiana Jones starring the kid from Napoleon Dynamite. Wrong, wrong, wrong!


I had a gorgeous piccie of the lovely Hugh Jackman all picked out for my last Romance. Problem was, he was the complete wrong guy for the book I was trying to write. Far too nice. Even his hair was all wrong! Yes, it is possible to miscast hair. I am living proof. It hampered me for weeks until I let go and recast. And just like that everything fell into place.


soundtrack


Punctuate your story with mood music.


A filmgoer may blink, or look away to check out a cute guy in the next row, or spend half the movie with their nose buried in their popcorn, their ears never turn off. Sound pervades.


Those in charge of music in movies who do it well choose songs that create a kind of soundtrack of their characters’ lives. Think Mad World in Donnie Darko. Or God Only Knows at the end of Love Actually. I love that. I get that. And I use that.


For each book I write I have a CD that gets played over and over. In a normal world this would drive me crazy, but in the world of writing a book it can be really helpful in getting you in the right mood. Pick a CD or make a mixed tape of songs that bookmark the memorable moments in your characters’ journeys. I’ve used Robbie Williams for fun books, Moulin Rouge for a book set partly in Paris, and for my last Harlequin Romance FALLING FOR THE REBEL HEIR I was deeply into Jeff Buckley’s Grace for a much more moody evocative book .


craft services


Cater to your creative side.


I once heard that it is wise to study in the manner in which you plan to sit your exam. For example, if you eat buttered toast and drink scads of tropical juice while studying, do the same thing before going into your exam. It helps you tap into that part of you brain you used while studying - like some kind of sense memory.


I stick by the same habits when writing. Every day as I sit at my computer I do so with a cup of coffee, big glass of iced water, and a tub of M&Ms at the ready. Even if I never finish the coffee, might forget about the M&Ms (unlikely, but every so often it happens) the fact that I am surrounded by the same comfort foods each and every book helps immeasurably.


crew



Independence

or collaboration?

Are you an autonomous writer or someone who needs to surround yourself with interested parties?


I am an auteur, without a doubt. Creative control, not diluting my idea, is a big deal for me. Only because I know that I am easily affected by outside influences. Therefore nobody gets to see my work until my editor.


But there is something to be said for working with the same crew over and over again. Look at Woody Allen. Kenneth Branagh. Successful creators who trust those they use to support their vision. If you find a group, or a critique partner, or a family member who fits into your production, hang on tight. Share the load. Delegate away.


that’s a wrap


The key is finding what works for you. Sounds of the ocean or Metallica full blast? A one room set, or jump cut to Starbucks at lunchtime? Celery sticks and bottled water, or salt and vinegar chips and coffee on tap? Orlando Bloom or the Rock?


Find out what kind of production values get you in the mood to write, and go for broke. Budget be damned ;).


Now keyboard, monitor, action!



Ally's November release, STEAMY SURRENDER is also out now in Australia & New Zealand as a Sexy Sensation.


This is the one with the sexy Italian hero who owns his own string of gelatarias. Could it get any better? Yuh-huh! Add in a beautiful cabin in the snow, designer duds for our heroine and a sidetrip to Paris and life's a dream.


For more check out an excerpt on her website...


And if you are looking for that perfect Christmas gift, check out SIZZLE, SEDUCE AND SIMMER a collection of romantic recipes with matching original short stories by collated by Marion Lennox and written by a bunch of your fave down under romance authors.

1 comment:

  1. How's this for spooky, I spent my early years fancing myself as a film director too. Love Peter Weir's work by the way, especially Year of Living Dangerously and Master and Commander - Gallipolli was a bit hard on us Poms though! And even got to work on a film set in Texas - great indy movie that noone will ever have heard of, but the cinematographer was gorgeous. Have never thought of thinking of my work space as a film set, though. Will have to give it a try though - it all makes a strange kind of sense....

    ReplyDelete