Sunday, September 23, 2007

Welcome to the Weekend...Author Spotlight

This weekend we take our Pink Heart Society columnist Samantha Hunter and place her firmly under the spotlight! So what don't we know about our Sam???

About Samantha:

Samantha Hunter writes romance full time in Syracuse New York where she lives with her husband, two dogs, two cats, in a lovely old house that always is being remodeled in one way or another. Her first book, Virtually Perfect (Blaze) was published in 2004, and Talking in Your Sleep (Dec 2007) will be her ninth Blaze, with number ten currently in edits for summer 2008.


Under the Spotlight:

Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?
Really just about everywhere – travel is especially inspiring. When I visit a new place I almost can’t help thinking about stories and characters to put in the new places I see. Settings are very inspiring to me in that way.

What makes you mad?

Disloyalty, lying, cruelty. And when my computer or the internet won’t do what I need it to do, easily. ;)

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

Meeting my husband. We met on the internet, and had wonderful online discussions and interactions for three months before meeting in person – and the in-person meet was wonderful. We knew immediately that it was right, and moved in together 8 weeks later. We’ve been together almost 14 years now.

What in a hero makes you drool?

Kindness. I like beta guys, but if there’s an alpha, he has to be about more than ego and having his own way. Too many alphas can be like big spoiled brats, “my way or the highway” but love isn’t about that – so he has to show he can soften up and put someone else’s needs above his own.

Describe yourself in three words?

Determined, hopeful, happy.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

A full time environmentalist or a tile artist – you know, going and laying down tile designs on people’s walls and floors. J It’s my favorite DIY job of all the ones I’ve done, though I don’t care for doing wall prep – someone else would have to do that.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

Read, watch TV, hang out with family and friends. Sometimes I quilt or take a walk with the dogs, but to really relax, I like to just hang around and laugh or talk about nothing in particular. Or take a nap. J

How do you get out of a writing rut?

Depends on the rut. If it’s a wip that’s not under contract, I might set it aside and think and come back to it, etc. If it’s a book under deadline, I force myself to write through it, to make something work, and hope that editorial feedback will help be smooth out the rough spots.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

I love where I am now, but would enjoy being closer to larger bodies of water and a larger city. Probably Boston/Cape Cod or somewhere near (or in, if I could afford it) NYC would be great.

Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?

Barbara Kingsolver who write High Tide in Tucson and Prodigal Summer – both amazing books. She’s a beautiful, grounded writer.

What music do you listen to when writing?

None, I don’t like any distractions when I’m writing. Sometimes listening to music in the car might spark a thought for a book, but I don’t develop playlists or anything like that.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you?

I talk so much that at least the people closest to me know just about everything. I’m an open book, LOL. But maybe something that the public at large doesn’t know about me is that I don’t like talking to people on the phone, especially people I don’t know. With people you know, family, it’s okay, but otherwise, I really dislike it.

My family’s favorite baby picture of me was when I was about four months old, holding a plastic phone, and I used to get in trouble in school for talking in class all the time. I love sitting down over coffee for a chat, I can walk up to a stranger and strike up a conversation, no problem, but I really don’t care for talking on the phone. In fact, I will avoid it if I can. There’s something about the phone that screws up conversations – you can’t read the other person’s signals, and you talk over each other or interrupt, and it drives me crazy. There are those dead silences where you don’t know if someone has hung up and sometimes you’re not sure how you’re coming across. I like talking in person. I have to call some contest winners this week for a contest I coordinated, and I hate that I have to do that – I would rather push it off on someone else if I could, LOL. I guess I’m a little phone-phobic.

What was your most embarrassing moment?

I don’t embarrass too easily, but I’ve had several embarrassing moments when it comes to physical sports like kayaking, etc. because while I enjoy it, I’m not exactly a big athlete, and my middle name is not “grace.” I go, and I enjoy it, but for instance, I have a hell of a time getting myself in and out of my boat, and have often tipped it over completely, falling in the water with the boat rolling on top of me, usually with some kind of audience from shore – it’s a good thing I don’t embarrass too easily. ;)

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

Many things. Good health, family, a new kitchen, new books, new friends, a new agent -- many good things.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

Usually a cup of coffee or a beverage, and not much else.

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?

My husband, of course. In fantasy land, Anthony Steward Head who plays Giles on Buffy. J He looks like he’d be a good kisser.

What are you working on now?

I have just finished a story for a 2008 Summer Anthology for Blaze, and have been working on a new Blaze that’s part of a 4-author continuity. I have a Superromance and a new Paranormal ST in the works, but those are not sold yet, so we’ll see what happens. I have also submitted a new Extreme Blaze, so if that one sells, I’ll be at an even dozen.

You can find Sam at http://www.loveisanexplodingcigar.com/. Check out her new releases and contests at www.samanthahunter.com.

Samantha's next book TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP out in December this year through Harlequin Blaze.



Are you in to try and win tonnes of goodies with The PINK HEART SOCIETY TREASURE HUNT??

Today's Birthday Present for the Lil Pink Dancing Guy can be found at Natasha Oakley's Blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment