Monday, September 03, 2007

Male on Monday - PHS Hugh Jackman Tour 2007

As part of our Pink Heart Society Birthday Celebrations we're re-visiting one of our first successful Male On Mondays. Natasha Oakley is doing the honours this year and is inviting you to participate in our second annual HUGH JACKMAN TOUR...

I must have been a really good girl this year, mustn't I!!

But, having thought about it, I agree I'm the obvious choice for this difficult job of launching the second annual Hugh Jackman tour. I line the path each Christmas Eve with night lights so Father Christmas can find his way safely, put the same choir boy on the top of my tree each year and prefer old things to new because I know they’ve been loved. Tradition is my thing.

September at the Pink Heart Society will always need some little something about Hugh Jackman.

Shall we pause here for a corporate sigh??? He is really very gorgeous isn’t he!

And you obviously agree with us because last year, when we first featured the very sexy Hugh there was a massive outcry about the pictures we chose - 'I have a better one' you said. So we came back with a 'go on then' and invited you to post your favourite pictures on your own blogs and leave a link so we could all take a tour..

As traditions go that has to be a great one. So we thought we really ought to do it again!

Interestingly Trish, Ally and I have all tried to use him as hero inspiration this past year and eventually re-cast. For myself I reckon that’s because there is a ‘niceness’ about him which doesn’t translate into a fictional hero so well.

Anyone have any other theories?

To remind you all, Hugh Michael Jackman was born 12 October, 1968, in Sydney, Australia, to English parents. He’s a delightful 6ft 2½” (that’s 1.89m for those of you who work in metric) and has been married to Deborra-Lee Furness since 1996. Together they've adopted two children.

Sparing no effort I’ve found a few other snippets of information for you. This is such a hard job!

- While filming ‘Van Helsing’ in 2004 he accidentally broke an extra’s hand.
- His stunt double for ‘Van Helsing’ and ‘X-Men: The Last Stand’ was Richard Bradshaw who is his sister’s husband.
- He was listed as a potential nominee on the 2005 Razzie Award nominating ballot for his performance in ‘Van Helsing’.
- His favourite food is apparently sushi (which personally I dislike).
- Hugh designed his wife's engagement ring and their wedding rings hare inscribed "Om paramar mainamar". My Sanskrit is rusty but his wife translated it as "we dedicate our union to a greater source".
- He is near-sighted and has extremely blurry vision when he isn’t wearing his contacts. When he hosted the Tonys he memorised everything he had to say so that he wouldn’t need to struggle to read the autocue.

Speaking of the Tonys you might like to take a look at this:

- Hugh’s a non-smoker and hates to smoke in movies.
- He’s left-handed, although he often seen using his right.
- Dougray Scott was originally cast as Wolverine but ‘Mission Impossible II overran by two months.
- Favourite ‘curse word’ is apparently ‘bullshit’.
- He was nominated for Best Actor in a Musical for his role in Oklahoma at the National Theatre in London. And click here to hear why!

My absolute favourite ‘quote of note’ is:

“I’ve always felt that if you back down from a fear, the ghost of that fear never goes away. It diminishes people. So I’ve always said ‘yes’ to the thing I’m most scared about. The fear of letting myself down – of saying ‘no’ to something that I was afraid of and then sitting in my room later going, ‘I wish I’d had the guts to say this or that’ – that galvanises me more than anything.”

As a mum of five I’m also rather fond of:

“Becoming a father, I think it inevitably changes your perspective on life. I don’t get nearly enough sleep.”

I'm not so sure about Hugh with a beard though, are you?

So all of you with blogs it's time to join in and take us on a tour as part of our birthday celebrations!

Simply leave us a comment with a link and let us know you've added your favourite picture of Hugh to your blog, make sure to title your post PHS Hugh Jackman Tour 2007 and then we can all do the rounds and decide who has the best ...You can even come back and leave a comment here to tell us where your favourite one in the tour was!

And don't forget to pop by later in the month when Anne McAllister tells us The Legend Behind Hugh In A Towel ~ the tale of how one towel brought one actor to the attention of Category Romance Authors all over the world!

With love

This July saw the start of a brand-new series - The Royal House of Niroli.

"The Mediterranean island of Niroli has prospered for centuries under the Fierezza men. But now, as the King’s health declines, and his 2 sons have been tragically killed, the crown is in jeopardy. Who will rule? "

The series is being released under the Presents branding. That's why you're finding an extra release to the normal eight on the shelves each month.

Natasha's book, 'The Tycoon's Princess Bride' will be in the shops in October and is a Romantic Times Magazine Top Pick. Click here for the full review.

Happy Birthday Lil Pink Guy from your friends:

"I've been hooked on category romances since my teens. I've devoured sizzling, funny, suspenseful, sweet and passionate romances and loved them. Picking up my first category romance opened a whole new world for me and it's a place I still love to visit. Now I also have the privilege of writing romances and that world has taken on a whole new dimension. Thanks so much to everyone involved in setting up and participating in the Pink Heart Society. It's been a fabulous first year and it's such fun to share that appreciation of a great romance with so many other readers. Happy Birthday PHS. I can't wait to see what's on the schedule for the second year!" ~ Annie West


  1. Okay - I've posted mine on my blog. In fact two!

  2. I'll take your two and up you by one!!! Bwahahahahahaha....

    Mind you - one of them is my Hugh on the sofa from last year.

    Off to check out Natasha's!!! (But bet mine's nicer...)

  3. And one of yours is upside down! I win I think!!

  4. Ahem it's SUPPOSED to be upside down!!! You are SUCH a philistine!!!!!!!!

  5. I have some!!!

    Though I loooove the one at the top here, Natasha. It's my winner so far!!!


  6. I've got one on my blog, with bare bits!!
    (minds out of the gutter, please ;) )

    And I had heaps but only posted 1? gals are sneaky... :)

  7. Okay, I am going for a black and white shot.

  8. I was slightly worried that there would be dupilation, but no -- thus far -- the photos are all different.

  9. And I have put Hugh in more historical mode on the Harlequin Historical Authors' blog.

  10. I've forced myself to join in!!

    The things I do for you PHS ladies! This was such hard, hard work


  11. I'm in, too. Trish, I'm with you on that upside down one - I planned to use that but instead I've come up with two more (and I hope t'other Kate hasn't beaten me to it... *g*)

  12. Ooh, I'm on my way to check everyone's pics.

    Check out mine here

  13. I've put mine up here.

    It's rather a sweet one, the inspiration for one of my heroes.

    Oh I do so love these Mondays...

  14. Oh and I LOVE sushi so I'm available for dinner with Hugh at any time. :-)

  15. I'm in!! Put up three :-)

  16. Okey, dokey, I've got my image posted of the delicious Hugh in Bad Boy mode. For some reason it's the size of a postage stamp (as you can probably tell I'm new to this blogging malarkey), so you may need to get out your magnifying glasses.

    Here's the address

    Love all the other pics - definitely the way to get the week off right.

  17. Mine's the best! Seriously. Gorgeous.

  18. ... mine's the Hugh-As-Alpha shot.
    Just fabulous.
    Oooh, these are all great!!!

  19. I found two gorgeous pictures of Hugh soaking wet and they are here:

    I couldn't figure out how to post them on my blog, so click on the Pics link under my book cover and you'll find Hugh has an album all to himself.


  20. Okay I've now visited them ALL!!! NEED-MORE-NEED-MORE!!!!

    Gotta say some of the black and white shots are SPECTACULAR...

  21. Now - not that I wanna seem like I'm enjoying this TOO MUCH but while nobody brings me any new pics I went and found myself a Youtube vid to add...

    And Natasha - MINE'S BETTER!!! Ha - ahahahahahahaha... WHAT-A-WAY-TO-START-THE-WEEK!

    Somebody better bring me new pics soon or I could become addicted!

  22. Okay, you're all wrong. I can't post pictures because I'm really techno incompetent plus I can't really find what I'm after despite lots of googling but Hugh was hotest in his very first television series here in Australia. It was called "Corelli" and I think he was 20ish and he played opposite Deborah Lee Furness (the show where they met and fell in love) and he was a crim in a prison and she was a psychologist and that show sizzled with sexual tension. I saw the DVD's in the ABC shop the other day and I think I'm going to go and buy them.

    He inspired one of my characters actually - didn't ditch him. Suited my laid back xtreme sports star down to the ground. Its not one of my meds and is yet to be published but man - I love that character!!!

    Hugh Jackman - now there is a god amongst men.

    Thank you PHS.

  23. I've got a new pic up on my blog, showing how Hugh inspired one of my heroes...

    I'm still waiting for him to come round with sushi, by the way. You ladies aren't distracting him, are you??

  24. Ooh, Amy that TV show sounds spectacular. Hugh as a very bad boy, which is defintiely my favourite mode.

    Trish, thanks for being the first person ever to post a comment on my blog, which I've been keeping a secret because I was worried noone would read it. Which, now I think of it, might explain why no one has! Duh!

    And Julie, sorry Hugh can't come round for sushi, he's a bit busy at the moment feeding me some... in nothing but his towel. I'm finding him very inspiring... purely in the interests of hero research, or course.

  25. Found you yesterday just in time to post my pic. I'm a romance writer interested in category from NJ. I'm also totally besotted with Hugh since seeing him (mumble, mumble) times in NY in The Boy (I just typed body there) from OZ. So here's my contribution to thank him for the memories:

  26. This is what happens when you're halfway around the world and have a life -- you don't get your pics up until way late. But mine are there. I think you can find them at: but if you can't, go to and click on the blog link.

  27. I forgot to add...I think you guys are so great for honoring the hero of Paperback Hero. It sort of fits.

  28. I'm late but I've posted mine! And then I'm going to make the rounds and see the ones you all have done...

    This pic is what inspired the idea of my next WIP which I'm starting THIS WEEK! And I seriously LURVE it! I wonder if any of you posted it....

  29. Ally - mine and yours is the same!

    And I couldn't see Trish's's! For some reason I couldn't get through to the site.

    I have to say, Julie, that I'm relatively sure that movie has sparked a lot of Hugh-worship. Someone Like You was the best for taking a bad boy and making him redeemable and lovely.....SIGH.

  30. Are we voting on who wins? To win, doesn't there have to be a loser??

  31. OK...I've made an editorial decision...HUGH IS BEST IN BLACK AND WHITE! Oh my, there are some great ones out there! Who gets credit for Hugh on a motorcycle? Julie for posting it or Michelle for finding it?

  32. Oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh NEW ONES!!!


  33. Thanks girls for all the photo links. I can see I'm going to get NO work done on this ms today. I'm going to be checking out blog sites. Gee, life can be tough, can't it?

    Thanks for the fabbo post, Natasha!


  34. For those of you wondering where I found the Hugh Jackman black and white photos -- inparticular the motorcycle one.

    There are several more...

  35. Okay ... I reckon Hugh on the bike wins. I have a story whirring already!

  36. Christina I think you might have a few jealous women in here that you actually *saw* him in person...

    We might need DETAILS...


    Here's my contribution to the Hugh Jackman tour!

  38. Three passions,warcraft leveling simple but wow lvl overwhelmingly strong,wow power level have governed wow power level my life: the longing wrath of the lich king power leveling for love, the search for knowledge,World of warcraft Power Leveling and unbearable pity WOTLK Power Leveling for the suffering wlk power leveling of mankind. These passions,wlk power leveling like great winds,age of conan gold have blown me hither and thither,cheap aoc gold in a wayward course,aoc power leveling over a great ocean ffxi gil of anguish, reaching final fantasy xi gil to the very verge of despair. I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy - ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed FFXI Gil all the rest of life for final fantasy gil a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, wow gold because it relieves loneliness--that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness dog clothes looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss.