Saturday, August 18, 2007

Friday Film-Night :: Anne of Green Gables

Okay, so its not exactly a movie. But you can get it out at the DVD store and I do believe you absolutely must. I'm talking about:

Anne of Green Gables

I was never one for birthday parties. The last one I had with invitations and games and the like was when I was six years old. But one of my favourites was my twelfth birthday, while my folks had a bunch of friends over for "drinks" to celebrate ;), my friend and I sat back on a pair of beanbags in the TV room and watch the most gorgeous tale of a girl's journey into adulthood.

The 240-minute Anne of Green Gables was first shown on American television as a 3-part presentation in 1986.

Megan Follows is Anne Shirley. 13-year-old Anne Shirley, an orphan girl sent to live with a foster family on Canada's Prince Edward Island.

She is a fabulous heroine. Long red hair which she hates so much she dyes it - and it turns green. She has freckles and will never be as gloriously beautiful as her kindred spirirt and best friend cram-skinned Diana Barrie (Schuyler Grant). She has a romantic imagination to rival any person on the planet and is famously short-tempered. I could have been her as a thirteen year-old! Heck I still could be.

Though she has great difficulty controlling her temper, impulsiveness and vivid imagination, Anne eventually wins over her new guardians, domineering Marilla Cuthbert (Colleen Dewhurst) and Marilla's shy brother Matthew (Richard Farnsworth).

And then there's her supposed enemy Gilbert Blythe (Jonathan Crombie). The boy at school who pulls her hair and teases her and is the only one close to being as smart as she is. And here's where the romance comes in.

Gilbert is her equal, in every way. Stubborn, opinionated, intelligent. And we know he likes her. Though he squires the local beauties around town, we know he only has eyes for our Anne. Though it sets her off like a firecracker whenever he dares pretend otherwise. Talk about sparks!

The romance continues, falters, and shifts in the second series as Anne becomes determined to become a romance writer living a life of tragic singledom and Glibert becomes a talented young doctor with an eye on marriage. Will our young meant-to-be lovers truly not end up together?

Anne sees the world outside of Avonlea, and finally realises home is where the heart is.

From the book "Anne of Avonlea", by L.M. Montgomery:

For a moment, Anne's heart fluttered queerly and for the first time her eyes faltered under Gilbert's gaze and a rosy flush stained the paleness of her face. It was as if a veil that had hung before her inner consciousness had been lifted, giving to her view a revelation of unsuspected feelings and realities.

Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one's life with pomp and blare, like a gay knight riding down; perhaps it crept to one's side like an old friend through quiet ways; perhaps it revealed itself in seeming prose, until some sudden shaft of illumination flung athwart it's pages betrayed the rhythn and the music; perhaps... perhaps... love unfolded naturally out of a beautiful friendship, as a golden-hearted rose slipping from its green sheath.

Then the veil dropped again; but the Anne who walked up the dark lane was not quite the same Anne who had driven gaily down it the evening before. The page of girlhood had been turned, as by an unseen finger, and the page of womanhood was before her with all its charm and mystery, its pain and gladness.


There is a third series, set during the war, which I have never seen. Do I want to? Do I really want to know what happens next after the happy ending? I think I need convincing ;).

Warm and fuzzy rating: 9 with ease

Ally's current release, her first ever Sexy Sensation release in Australia and New Zealand, GETTING DOWN TO BUSINESS, is out in Down Under right now. As we speak. Heck there may not even be that many left on the shelves so you'd better hurry.... ;)

Though you can be one of the first to read about Abbey and Flynn by checking out an except online now!


  1. Isn't Megan Follows gorgeous?

    One of the things I loved about Anne of Green Gables was that she got to do things I wanted to do. I chuckled with glee when she let her temper rip. And the actual writing was just beautiful, beautiful, and a lovely series on DVD as well.

    I'd give it a '9 easily' too, Ally.


    The Italian Single Dad - Harlequin Romance September 2007

  2. Absolutely one of my favorite books of all time. And the movies were fabulous! (except the third--skip it. It just doesn't have the same magic).

  3. Ally, you picked my favourite series of children's books and the best, most wonderful adaptation of them. Colleen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth, sadly departed and greatly missed, were stupendous as Marilla and Matthew. Megan Follows perfect as Anne and Jonathan Crombie perfect as Gil. I can never tire of watching this series.

    Thanks for bringing back some lovely memories.


  4. Michelle I agree about the third. It didn't follow the books AT ALL. I was so disappointed.

    And the second movie did take bits and pieces and also fabricated some, but it was done is such a lovely way I didn't mind. At least you could see the correlations and Gilbert on the bridge, when he says "Please say yes..." just breaks my heart.

    My girls and I break these out at least once a year and have hot cocoa girlie afternoons. :-)

  5. That passage from Anne of Avonlea is one I know by heart. I've always thought of my husband as 'my Gilbert'. I loved the first movie, the second was still pretty good, but the third...! Still, the ending of the first movie when Gil calls Anne 'Carrots' and brushes the hair away from her face...! Romance at its absolute best, imo.

    Kate Hewitt

  6. Lovely choice Ally! But the ending???????? WHY do they do that? And, yes, I really did mean to shout.

  7. I was obsessed with this movie (and book series) when I was 13, about the same time the movie came out. Thanks for the pictures and the wonderful reminder.

    Michelle and Donna are right about the third movie, though. I was so desperate to see it, but there was no magic whatsoever. Everyone - especially the writers - just phoned it in. Ugh.

  8. What Michelle and Donna said, the third series was terrible, completely abandoned the books. Obviously the continuing Anne and Gilbert married wasn't quite dramatic enough so they had to make stuff up about the war. When the way the books handle the war is gorgeous and sad and fab. Read the books.

  9. Yes, skip the third.

    I loved the first two (hmmm . . . maybe it's time to pull them out). I loved the books, although the last couple were so much more serious. LMM really got her characters, don't you think?

    And the films -- I used to work for a Canadian company (here in the US) and I remember asking one of my co-workers if PEI is really that gorgeous and she said, "Absolutely." She'd done the whole Anne of GG tour on PEI, the lucky duck.

    Penni (aka ftworthmom)