Sunday, July 15, 2007

Spotlight on... Trish Morey

This week The Pink Heart Society spotlights author Trish Morey! Trish always fancied herself as a writer, so naturally she became a Chartered Accountant instead.

Real people don’t become authors – right? Then in 1992, when Trish was home nursing baby #2, she spied an article saying Harlequin Mills & Boon were actively looking for authors. It was a Eureka moment - writing for HM&B was her destiny!

Eleven years of rejections later, HM&B finally came to the party and Trish was accepted into her dream line, Harlequin Presents/M&B Modern. And Trish discovered – real people do become authors – she’s living proof.




Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?


Everywhere. Even when you don’t want them, the ideas are there. You hear a phrase and think, what a great title that would make. You hear a snatch of conversation and you wonder, what if?


But most of all, there’s an entire soup of ideas somewhere up there, swirling above our heads, raining down upon us all. Some people have their umbrellas up and don’t feel it. The writers among us love being sprayed and think, ooh, I could use that one day...


What makes you mad?


Injustice. Crimes against the weak. My kids having minds of their own. (Whoops, that last one’s supposed to be a good thing, right?:)

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

My hubby reckons marrying him. And maybe he’s right, it was the most romantic wedding in a gorgeous old manor home that unfortunately has since been demolished. Not that I’m taking that as an omen or anything...

What in a hero makes you drool?


Integrity – that completeness that rounds out a man and makes him honourable. A sense of humour and the ability to make one laugh so he’s not too stuffy with that integrity is pretty damn sexy too.


If you weren’t a writer what would you be?


That’s easy. I’d still be a Chartered Accountant cranking out the spreadsheets. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good spreadsheet. But I much prefer these days spreading my characters between the sheets


What do you do to relax and wind down?


Sit outside on the balcony and catch up on some sun and some great reading instead of sitting inside in my study and battling to create it. Or just take a walk through the hills and count koalas. A one koala day is a good day. Spotting two is stellar. Three koalas – well, you just know it’s going to be a brilliant day after that. It’s a great way to put a grin on your face.


How do you get out of a writing rut?


By getting away from it and thinking the problem out (usually by talking it over with the pooch while counting koalas) – or if that fails, by brainstorming with a few writer friends. I’m not one who can write it out because I can’t go on until I’ve got that problem sorted. So it may take a bit of time, but it’s worth it once I figure out what’s wrong.


If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?


I’m incredibly lucky. I’ve had the opportunity to live in Adelaide, Darwin and Canberra here in Oz, plus Harpenden in the UK and Wellington in NZ, plus I’ve visited a lot more places and I’ve loved them all. But now we’ve settled high up in the Adelaide Hills overlooking city and coastline and there’s not a more soul feeding place in the world for me right now. It’s truly magic.


Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?


Without a doubt, Candice Proctor (writing now as C.S. Harris) and then Bronwyn Jameson who writes the most desirable Silhouette Desires. There’s just something about a wordsmith that takes an excellent romance author to that next level.


What music do you listen to when writing?


Only in the afternoons, which is when I need it, but depending where I am in a book, Leonard Cohen or Madeleine Peyroux or even Seaman Dan if I’m feeling a little exotic. Then again, if I’m writing a love scene, Nick Cave’s love ballads, especially “Into My Arms” do it for me every time. Sheer poetry. Sheer atmosphere. Sheer magic.

What was your most embarrassing moment?


Forgetting the thank you speech I’d rehearsed for days on end in front of the entire school assembly in year 7. And admitting it over the mike. Since then I like to think I’ve learned the benefits of bluffing

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?


So much! There’s something about growing kids that make every achievement so special. And there’s something about being a published Harlequin Mills & Boon author that brings its own special times. Every sale, contract and release is worth celebrating, but perhaps the most special of all was in winning the 2006 Aussie Romantic Book of the Year Award with The Italian Boss’s Secret Child. I have to say, that moment would be hard to beat.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?


Mess. No matter how hard I try to clean it up and discover what this long lost desktop is actually made of, it’s always covered. Files, notes, dictionary, thesaurus, school reminders and things to do, plus my latest covers propped up to inspire me, they’re all here. Clutter’r’us

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?


My gorgeous hubby. You just can’t beat a good snog with the guy you love. (Jenna butts in. Is THAT what a snog is? Oh my. I've had it ALL wrong!)


What are you working on now?


A classic Harlequin Presents I’ve called The Boss’s Bedroom Bargain. The hero is your gorgeous Aussie hero of Italian extraction, the heroine a feisty struggler who’s been found in his bed and judged badly for all the wrong reasons. Conflict is assured.




The hero's name is Diablo! That is enough reason to snag a copy of The Spaniard's Blackmailed Bride! For more on Trish, make sure to check out her website or hunt her down at the Wet Noodle Posse blog.

Stop by the Coffee Time Romance blog to win Books and get a look in a Day in the Life...

7 comments:

  1. Harpenden is a short bit of train track away from me, Trish. Now if we'd known that would have been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh blow, now she tells me! Only 12 years too late - lol.

    We had a great time living in England, Natasha, and made some fabulous friends. Having kids certainly opens doors. Still nothing like what I'm finding now as a writer though - talk about making friends everywhere!

    Aren't we blessed?

    BTW, loved the PHS coverage of Nationals - almost as good as being there, without the 24 hour haul each way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Jenna, I'll bite - what the heck did you think "snog" meant??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish,

    Love the sound of the Boss's Bedroom Bargain. What is it with titles and alliteration? Still snickering here about spreading characters between sheets. An accountant, a writer AND a punster. What a woman!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading about you, Trish! Just reminds me how much we missed your wit and wisdom at National. Can't wait to have you in on the fun at SF next year!!

    *big hugs*
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun, Trish! I love this: I much prefer these days spreading my characters between the sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! It's all true, Mary. What a wicked job, eh?

    ReplyDelete