Sunday, July 08, 2007

Spotlight on Melanie Milburne

This week The Pink Heart Society spotlights author Melanie Milburne!! In addition to having a life (check out the lifestyle section of her website!), Melanie writes for both the pleasingly practical Medical imprint and the fantasy laden Presents series.

Melanie, in one breath, tell us as much as you can about yourself. Ready...go!

I have a Masters Degree in Education and am married to a surgeon and have two young adult sons. I am a keen swimmer with National top ten ranking in my age group. I wanted to be a writer since I was a child, I even wrote a book when I was about eight but it wasn’t until I read my first romance novel at seventeen that I realised I wanted to be romance author.

Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?

I love reading widely and wildly so I get a lot of ideas from biographies,Newspapers and magazines as well as movies of course.

What makes you mad?

I get really upset when I hear of people who are violent towards children.

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

My husband bought me our holiday house at the beach as a surprise.
What in a hero makes you drool?

Dark hair, a sense of humour and eyes that speak volumes.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

I would probably be just finishing my PhD in Education! I was just about to start when I sold my first book.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

I love being at our beach house going for long walks or swims or sitting by a crackling fire reading.

How do you get out of a writing rut?

I have learned that it is usually something to do with the plot or a particular scene or I’m in the wrong person’s point of view. If that doesn’t work I take a day off and read instead.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

I already live in the most beautiful place (Tasmania) but I do love the Sunshine Coast of Queensland.

Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?

Ian McEwan or Jodi Picoult. I love their writing.

What music do you listen to when writing?

Relaxation or classical.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you

I am such an open book I don’t think there’s anything! I have a tendency to reveal too much, even to strangers.

What was your most embarrassing moment?

I once got up to tell a joke at one of my husband’s work dinners and I forgot the punch-line. I looked like an idiot and I still cringe when I think about it.

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

The arrival of our new puppy Polly who is adorable, plus the renovation of our bathroom which makes me feel like I’m in health spa every time I walk into it.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

A cup of tea, a dictionary, thesaurus, phrase books, baby name book, notepaper, telephone including mobile, two little fairies, a little teddy bear my older sister gave me and a tiny tin with my boys’ baby teeth inside.

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?

My husband because he’s still the only man I’ve ever truly fallen in love with.

What are you working on now?

I write for both Presents and Medicals so right now I am working on a Presents.

Thanks for coming to see us, Melanie! XOXO - The Pink Heart Society.

To find out more about Melanie and her current release, check out her website, blog, Presents Authors, and Medical Authors. Be sure to read about a day in her life at the Coffee Time Romance Blog.

1 comment:

  1. wow, Melanie, I can't get over how much you pack into a day (that you described on the other blog). Amazing. I experienced that kind of productivity briefly (when I was training in the Army) - its amazing what one can achieve with an irate corporal breathing down your neck.

    I wonder if your competitive swimming , while it takes time, actually fuels a lot of the other things you do. I should exercise more......