Monday, July 30, 2007

Spotlight On Kate Walker!!

The last few weeks have been bursting with kudos in the category romance community. One of the friendliest blog parties around has been to celebrate the 50th release by the ever helpful Kate Walker. Here at The Pink Heart Society we started the month by asking authors their favorite KW title, so we thought it best to round out the month by asking Kate to share a few things about herself.

About Author:
Kate Walker has been hugely popular with Harlequin Presents fans since her debut...fifty books ago. Then, she was a former childrens librarian, writing in stolen moments while her toddlers slept. Now, she is respected as an authority in the genre, having written one of the most reccommended books on romance writing, Kate Walker's 12-Point Guide to Writing Romance.

Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?

Oh dear, that question - simple answer? Life. I once tried to convince my accountant that life was a viable expense for a writer – after all, it’s by watching people, in real life or on TV or film, reading about people in books, newspapers, magazines that I learn about people, and people are what romances are about.
I love anything with a story in it – a book, a film, a TV drama, a ‘soap’ – they fill up the imagination banks in my mind. I’ve always done the ‘what if’ thing while watching a drama- asking myself how would I make this different – which other directions could I take the same characters in? The ‘story’ in a magazine’s fashion pages can inspire me – or simply a single line heard on the radio. The Italian’s Forced Bride came from one of those – from hearing a man saying ‘That baby was the only other person in the whole world that had my blood in his veins...’ And that set me off asking myself questions- how could that happen – why would it happen?

What makes you mad?

Injustice. Cruelty. Prejudice- in that prejudice I’d have to include the people who tell me so often that category romances are all the same, that they’re written by morons, read by morons and have no value whatsoever . And of course they’re never read one – why would they want to? But they know.

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

Romantic gestures are wonderful but they don’t last. My husband met me, went home and told his family he’d met the woman he wanted to marry – then he decided to ask me out! We’ve been together 36 years (I was a child bride!) through thick and thin, up and down – that’s real romance.

What in a hero makes you drool?

Wonderful hands. Arms, shoulders, eyes . . . A strong sense of honour and integrity. To me, an Alpha hero just has to have that core of moral fibre – a code of honour, no matter how angry he may be about something. No honour and he’s no Alpha to me. And then there’s the vulnerability of heart that he’s hiding behind an protective armour of toughness – one that fools everyone else but of course the heroine can see through.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

Crazy – the voices in my head demanding that I tell their stories would drive me insane ;-) If I had to I would probably go back to being a librarian and working with other people’s books.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

Some years ago I was sitting in an editorial lunch with the only male M&B editor – he had his back to the restaurant and couldn’t see the faces of the other diners. I was facing them and I could. He was telling me what he wanted me to change in the book I’d submitted. And into one of those sudden silences that fall in public places he said loudly and clearly, ‘To put it simply, Kate – I want more sex!’

Which was bad enough but then some years later at only my second meeting with the wonderful Michelle Reid- we were having afternoon tea with my husband and son in the posh Bettys Tearooms in York and I started to tell her the same story. And the moment that I delivered the line ‘I want more sex’ once again fell into one of those silences. Michelle just looked at my son and said ‘Is she always like this?’ ‘Always,’ he said.

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

The most obvious answer to that is the publication of my 50th title – The Sicilian’s Red-Hot Revenge. I didn’t think that this would be counted as my 50th but then my editor told me that M&B counted my internet story as one of the important number – so it’s wonderful to celebrate. And the best part of celebrating that was being able to share it with so many of my wonderful friends – you’ll have seen the reports on the blogs. There’s also been the fact that my February book The Italian’s Forced Bride hit #1 on the Waldenbooks list and sold at #1 in America in the month it came out.
Personally, when I know so many people who have had some tough times lately, I’d just like to celebrate life – and when just a couple of years ago things looked tough for me and my DH, right now I’m celebrating how we came back from that darker time and didn’t let it break us.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

Sid the cat. He’s usually curled around the keyboard, reaching out a paw every now and then to pat my

Thanks so much Kate for the Spotlight Interview, for all your help at Pink Heart Society (more on that next month), but most of all, thanks for 50 stories. Here's to the next 50!

XOXO - Jenna, Natasha, Ally, Nicola, & Trish

For more on Kate Walker...or the amazing Sid...check out her website and blog. And don't forget, The Sicilian's Red-Hot Revenge is available in June in the UK and in July in the US!


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Now hang on a minute, gals!

    Thank you for this - I didn't know it was due up! (I'm heading for Wales and juat logged on to find it) It's an honour to be part of the PHS - and a wondefrful team like yo - and an honour to be spotlighted - but . . . .

    I find you've suddenly given me an extra child! ;o ) ToddlerS . How did that happen? Last time I looked there was only one Offspring and as Trish has met him, she knows he ain't toddling any more!

    Right now I have to hit the road and hope I don't meet any flood en route


  3. Yes, well, you know my typing. I tend to make everything interesting by adding extra letters wherever I can. It makes life fun.

  4. Hi Kate,

    It's lovely to see you 'here' even though you're actually on your way to Wales! I did enjoy the 'more sex' story. Why is it that such silences fall at the most inopportune moment?