Friday, July 06, 2007

Friday Film Night - The Princess Bride

Pulling up to the Pink Heart Society Drive-In this week is none other than country-hopper and Romance author Melissa James. Watch her books to take on new, exciting locales in the next year as she and her family just moved three countries in three weeks. Well, four, if you count that run in with German border patrol.

I adore The Princess Bride. Comedy, adventure, romance, fantasy - this movie has it all. Framed as a story a grandfather is reading to his sick grandson, it has the happily ever after promise. You know she gets kidnapped and he gets killed, but also that everything ends up okay.

Once the story begins, I literally fell in love with Cary Elwes...what a hero! The beautiful locations and shots, the quirky humour, the fighting scene the best ever, funny and skilled.

I love the Pit of Despair....the way Count Rugen runs from Inigo - the giant is adorable. But the romance...ah. Who wouldn't love a man who said "As you wish" like that, with all that love?

Who fights skilled Spaniards, giants and murderers for her? Who comes back from being "mostly dead" (got to love that scene! "Humperdinck!") to save you from marrying the wrong man?

Oh, heart and soul I love that film...and the closing song is so romantic! To be loved that day I'll do a hero that well.

It's my aim in life to write a Westley!

Thanks Melissa! I doubt you'll find anyone to disagree :)

For more on Melissa check out her website or Pink Heart Society Spotlight. If you are a writer, PHS reccomends her Emotional Depth Article Series.

Stop by the Coffee Time Romance blog to win Books and get a look in a Day in the Life...


  1. "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

    How much did I love Mandy Patinkin in this movie?

    Its....wait for it..."incontheevable!"


  2. Ooh, I've never seen this one. Will definitely look out for it. Thanks Melissa!