Monday, June 25, 2007

Male on Monday - Soap Hunks Part Uno

This week at The Pink Heart Society editor Jenna Bayley-Burke invites us to induct a few soap stars into our Male On Monday Hall of Fame... so step up and add your favourites and maybe we'll find one who deserves a slot all to himself...

For me, Male on Monday is about man candy...and what better illustrates that than soap hunks?

I always wondered why my great-grandmother continued to watch soap operas long after she lost her hearing. She didn't put on the closed captioning like she did for other shows, she just made up her own story and glues herself to the screen.
I didn't think much about it until recently. On one hand because I literally broke my wrist, and on the other because of my new favorite author, Sarah Mayberry. She has a whole series of Blaze's set around a soap opera.

So...I did some reading...and some watching in the name of research for this blog post...and I realized why Grandma Jewel didn't bother with the sound. The man candy was plenty.

Next time you are in need of someone easy on the eyes...check out the soaps! Need some convincing? Good, because I wanted to post some pictures.

All My Children's
Justin Bruening is worth watching. He's a doctor...or an intern...either way he is changing his shirt. Lots. Like romance heroes, being on a soap requires a fit physique. Unfortunately, fidelity doesn't seem to be 'done' on soaps the way it is in romance novels.

Just a scene or two past Justin is Cameron Mathison, a millionaire with a penchant for working out. Shirtless. Lots. See why Grandma watched this show? Again we have some romance similarities - in control and protective, but I think there is some non-romance like baby drama going on here.

The next scene had Jacob Young, who left his shirt on. Probably because their is a limit to how many muscles can be shown per minute. Otherwise, he'd be a contender. His eyes are so blue! He plays a ruthless character with more baby drama than he knows what to do with. I think. Never did turn the sound on.

I've decided soaps are like candy...too much of them isn't a good thing. but in small doses, they can be quite pleasing. To the eye. For a romance addict, the Daytime Diva series is a better bet, but it's Blaze...though in chatting about this blog I found out All my Children pushes the envelope in their bedroom scenes, so maybe it wouldn't be too much for anyone!

So do you have a favourite soap star we could add to our Male On Monday slot? Come on out and share! He could just be a hero in the making...

Jenna is hard at work on her next title for Mills & Boon Modern Extra. In the meantime, check out her website, blog, or reading group, We Call It Research.


  1. Oh my gosh, I am an All My Children junkie. Thanks for this post, Jenna. But you missed the best man on the show IMO -- Zach Slater, played by actor Thorsten Kaye. You can see his photo at

    Total alpha, tall dark and handsome, early 40s, a ringer for George Clooney. So tender and loving to his wife and child, but he would destroy anyone who dared threaten them. Love this guy.

  2. He wasn't on that day :) I think they must ration the man candy. LOL. Isn't it the best place to go hero hunting?

  3. I'm a General Hospital girl, and there's a little something for everyone. You want the tough, tortured guy - go for Jason (Steve Burton). You want the straight and narrow, nice guy with issues guy, you go for Lucky (Greg Vaughn, who was my hero inspiration for my US Marshal) and if you want the alpha male, you go for Sonny (Maurice Benard) or Nikolas (Tyler Christopher). If I wrote Presents, Nik would be the guy- rich, greek, and alpha. :-)