Thursday, May 03, 2007

Writers Wednesday with Kimberley Van Meter

This week we at the Pink Heart Society bring you the very excited Kimberley Van Meter who will very soon be multi-published with Harlequin SuperRomance!

About Kimberley:

An avid reader since before she can remember, Kimberly Van Meter started her writing career at the age of 16 when she finished her first novel, typing late nights and early mornings, on her mother’s old portable typewriter.

In addition to writing, reading, and drinking hot chocolate by the windowsill when it rains, Kimberly enjoys photography.

The oldest of four siblings and the mother of three children, Kimberly divides her time between soccer games, swim meets, bottle feedings, and deadlines.

The Call story:

It was the most fabulous day of my life (aside from the birth of my children, of course). It was early in the morning in March and I was just heading to a staff meeting.

I was holding my 6-month-old daughter (my office is pretty kid-friendly on certain days) when my cell phone rang. I didn't recognize the number so I was about to let it go to voice mail but at the last minute decided to answer. It was Johanna Raisanen from Harlequin Superromance and she wanted to buy my book!

I screamed, almost dropped my daughter (thank goodness, a coworker swooped in to save the day) and started crying. It was the most amazing moment.

The rest is a bit of a blur as I was too dazed to actually remember what words were being said. Thankfully, Johanna agreed to call back later in the day when my feet were back on the ground. It was really surreal, actually. I couldn't actually believe that I had sold my book.

It was such an unreal feeling, one I'd dreamt about forever but I'd gotten to the point where I wasn't sure I was ever going to sell. In fact, two nights before I got the call, I had written in my journal that I was absolutely positive that another rejection was coming my way.

Thankfully, I was wrong.

Kimberley’s first book, The Truth About Family, was released in December 2006 and was a RT nominee in the best first book category.

Her second book, Father Material, comes out in July, which is part of a trilogy following the lives of three sisters. She is published by Harlequin Superromance.

Check out her website for more!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Kimberley! And it was nice to meet you! Good luck!

    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Being published is a fun ride, full of dips and turns but I'm thrilled with the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to the most beautiful author I know. So happy for you and all the good that is coming from years of hard work and persistance. Can we throw away the rejection letter drawer now? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, thanks honey! That's my dh! He's my biggest fan. :-)

    ReplyDelete