Monday, May 14, 2007

Male On Monday - Jeffrey Dean Morgan


This week on The Pink Heart Society our very own Trish Wylie inducts into the Male On Monday Hall Of Fame, a man who has made his name by dying on screen. Lots! And yet while managing to capture hearts along the way... Jeffrey Dean Morgan

With the final scenes from Grey’s Anatomy having been shown on terrestrial TV in the UK it seemed like the appropriate time to induct this chap into our Male On Monday slot… Though I do feel a tad of a need to step well back from the computer to avoid the stampede

Like millions upon millions of viewers I’ve been hooked to the Izzie and Denny storyline and anyone who didn’t weep like a PMT possessed woman at those final scenes really isn’t human. (took more than a quart of Haagan Daz for me to get it over it I tell ya!) So who is the actor that grabbed the attention not only of a fictional medical Resident who risked her career to save his life when she fell for him, but who also managed to turn dying onscreen into a fine art on three shows simultaneously on three different US TV networks???

Why, it’s Jeffrey Dean Morgan of course – sheesh – where have you been?! Seriously gals – we all need to leave the writing cave occasionally!

Baby Jeff was born on April 22 1966 and grew up in the suburbs of Seattle, Washington. Originally he had aspirations of playing basketball, until an injury in college ended those hopes. Then, in the early 1990's, he decided to help a friend move to LA, and never left.

Once in L.A., he landed cameo spots in various TV shows and independent films, such as Dillinger and Capone and Undercover. But it was in 1996 when his career started to build. He landed a role on The Burning Zone which led to guest spots on JAG, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Monk, the short-lived series The Handler and Tru Calling.

In 2005, things started to hot up and a new legion of fans started paying attention. His first break-through was on the series Weeds (A favorite of PHS Ed Ally Blake) as the dead husband of the show's lead; Mary Louise-Parker. Then he had two shows filming pretty much side by side (no mean feat when they were being shot in different countries!). As demon-hunting dad John Winchester on Supernatural (we’ll ignore the fact that in order to be a Dad to onscreen sons Jared and Jensen he’d have to have started making a family at a very young age…) he met a rather sticky, sacrificial-lamb kind of an ending. (so that's dead twice - are you keeping score here?)

But it was the show he was filming at the same time that more than likely brought him to the attention of we who are always on the look out for potential hero’s for our latest stories…
As Denny Duquette, a heart patient desperately in need of a transplant, who still managed to coax a smile out of intern Isobel “Izzie” Stevens (played by Katherine Heigl) on Grey’s Anatomy he demonstrated all the qualities we category romance fans like in a hero. Charming, funny, cheeky, all too irresistible, and yet with a vulnerability that made us completely understand why Izzie couldn’t help but fall in love and risk all for Denny… And the writing was excellent! We were taken on that rollercoaster ride that all category romancer’s understand – but oh – that ending! The heartbreak!!! How many of us wanted a happily ever after - huh? - you with me?

For any of you that missed the storyline or are masochistic enough to experience some of the agony all over again you can have a look at the best bits on Youtube here… Bring tissues!!! It did of course end with the kind of proposal that writer's of category romance worldwide would chew off their left arm for:

"For five years, I've had to live by the choices of my doctors. The guys that cut me open decided my life, there wasn't one choice that was mine. And now, I have this heart that beats and works. I get to be like everybody else, I get to make my own decisions, have my own life, do whatever the damned hell I choose. Now here's the good part, so you listen close. What I choose is you. You're who I want to wake up with and go to bed with and do everything in between with. I get a choice now. I get to choose. I choose you, Izzie Stevens."

I see the 'I choose you' as being right up there with 'You had me at hello' before long...

And what did Jeff have to say of Denny?

"I love how he looks at life. He's the man I want to be. He's the man I strive to be, but without the heart problem. He's just a great guy. He sees life and seizes those opportunities, and he's able to laugh, even when things are not looking good. I think that says a lot about that character. I learn something every day that I get to step into his shoes, and that's a real privilege."

Yup, a nice guy in real life too - so to Jeffrey's Mom - GOOD WORK!!!

So what’s in Jeff's post-dead-characters-career? Well, romance fans are about to have a couple of treats! He was here in Ireland last year (yes – I know – don’t go there!) filming P.S. I Love You (based on the Cecelia Ahern book), with Hillary Swank and Lisa Kudrow and has just finished another romantic comedy called The Accidental Husband with Uma Thurman where he plays, well, the accidental husband as it happens… And he then starts shooting a new TV show tentatively titled Correspondents where he plays the lead. (Written by Shonda Rhimes – the creator of Grey's Anatomy – so she was obviously just as impressed with his acting skills as millions of viewers were!)

For those of you who might like to know; 6ft 2 Jeffrey lives in New York with his 9-year-old Rottweiler mix dog, Bisou. And no, he’s not married – but it’s rumored he’s dating his Weeds co-star Mary Louise Parker. In any spare time he has, he enjoys painting, writing and is a huge fan of food and cooking. Hey – form an orderly queue you lot - have some dignity!!! You're letting me down here...

To find out more about Jeffrey Dean Morgan, my advice would be to visit the fabulous fan-run site www.jeffreydeanmorganfans.com and yes, I have just cast him as the hero inspiration in my next Romance line novel – but really – can you blame me? There’s a heap of inspiration in there… And he’s a Taurus - so readers of my Blog will know I found that pretty darn interesting too… Nuff said.


Trish's latest release is for the Romance line. Rescued: Mother-To-Be is a Romantic Times Top Pick for April! And was recently reviewed over at The Pink Heart Society's Review Blog...

The book is available at both Amazon and EHarlequin. To find out more you can visit her Website or her Blog.


4 comments:

  1. LOL You're going to have to wipe that drool off your keyboard ... it's showing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay now, when you first mentioned you were using him as your next Romance hero I did promise to bow out. But that first picture just called to me. Truly. I might have to...

    Ow! Jeepers! Trish stop throwing things at me. Okay, okay, I give in. He's yours!!!

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha I'm reliably informed that *drooling* over the keyboard of a laptop does something weird with the electrical parts of it... electricity and water dont mix or something (shrugs - like I KNOW)

    Ally are we starting negotiations all over again??? You keep stealing a gals potential heros and bad karma will visit you in the form of A COLD... yuh-huh... it will... you wait and see...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it, Trish!
    He's the inspiration for my current wip too. Isn't he just soooo yummy! I have the same first photo on my collage. What an inspiration!

    Marcy

    ReplyDelete