Friday, May 04, 2007

Friday Film Night - Bed Of Roses


Following on from Jenna Bayley-Burke's post on films that give a flavour for each of the category lines, this Friday at The Pink Heart Society fellow editor Trish Wylie brings you a film she feels captures the tone of the Romance line - Bed Of Roses...


He gave her flowers. She gave him a chance...

This is one of those movies that a lot of people probably missed when it was first released in 1996... and to be honest, if I weren't one of those people that feels they have to watch anything resembling a romance or a romcom for the sake of *research* - I might well have missed it too. And that would have been an awful shame y'know - cos this is a sweet film... it really is...

Written and directed by Michael Goldenberg, a playwright making his first film, Bed of Roses really is what it says it is, a sweet romance with emotional depth and a happy ending. Yup. Sounds like a Romance Line movie to me alright!

Set in New York, Lisa (Mary Stuart Masterson) is an investment banker with a busy career and a part time/casual boyfriend. When she receives a beautiful bouquet of flowers from an anonymous admirer, she's intrigued... and when she's told by her boss to take a break from work she finds herself with nothing to do... so decides to try and find out who sent them. The name of the store 'Lewis King Of Plants' is her first clue but no-one in the store seems to know who sent them. So she's sent in search of the delivery guy (Christian Slater), who is listening to a storytelling session in a local bookstore.

He knows who sent them, but he doesn't want to tell her who it is. And no amount of arguing from Lisa will persuade him to change his mind. So Lisa goes off to find her best friend, and they debate the romance versus the need to know. (I'd be torn there myself I have to say - I mean, what if Mister Anonymous was a prince in frog mode?)

After nightmares from her past awaken her from her sleep, she is looking at her flowers - and glances down out of her window to see the delivery guy in the street looking up at her apartment. She's understandably a bit freaked by that - and goes to confront him the next day...

Delivery Guy: I sent you the flowers.
Lisa: You…?
Delivery Guy: Erm… you see…I… uh… I like to take these walks. At, at night mostly. I.. I like to look up at all the darkened windows and just wonder what peoples lives are like and what they’re dreaming about – you know? And one night I was out pretty late and as usual all the windows were dark – except one. I stopped and I looked up. I saw you standing there and you were crying. And I thought; what was it that made you so sad?


He talks her into spending the day with him , despite her reservations, and in one magical afternoon she gets to see what few people do (especially busy career women) - the looks on the faces of the people he delivers flowers to and the joy they get from receiving them. Which is why he loves his job. They walk and talk when the deliveries are done and then he takes her to his rooftop garden where she suddenly realizes he’s not just the delivery guy…

Lisa: You’re Lewis.
Lewis: Yeah uh -It was my grandfathers name too. Actually I named the store after him.
Lisa: But you deliver flowers?
Lewis: I like to see peoples faces – when they’re just falling in love – or making up from a fight - even if they’re grieving... There’s something beautiful about a persons face at that moment. Yours was incredible – confused and shocked…

After kissing him she runs away – goes home – and shreds her flowers… Confused about her feelings… But Lewis keeps sending her flowers and sending her flowers – on the hour pretty much every hour - so she goes back to see him, determined to persuade him he’s wasting them on the wrong girl. Seeing him again changes her mind though. And that’s when Lewis opens up about his wife… She was his high school sweetheart, they got married and he went to work on Wall Street while she stayed at home and painted. While he climbed the ladder, she got pregnant – and one night he was working late when he got a call to say she had gone into labour and that there were complications…

Lewis: I lost everything in one second… So I just, I cashed out… Then one day I saw this guy who was delivering flowers and I thought maybe that’s what I should do – I’ll just, I’ll deliver flowers. Has to be the best job in the world – everyone is always happy to see you…
Lisa: One question – why me?
Lewis: I guess – I guess I finally looked up – and your light was on…

So a whirlwind affair begins, it’s beautiful, magical, perfect…But Lisa has conflicts of her own - a horrible childhood that has left its scars - and she’s scared of something so fast and so seemingly perfect. So by the time they begin to open up and talk about their families and Lewis tells her how wonderful his is – Lisa tells an equally as wonderful story – none of it true. But she knows she’s in love and practically moves in with him - still not telling him about her family – a subject her best friend disagrees with her on.

Then it's Christmas and Lewis is taking her to meet his family but she backs out last minute – finally telling him the truth about her past. Yes, she does change her mind, despite her fears of fitting in with Lewis’s family and her inability to believe that everything can remain as good as it has been… And his family is wonderful - but it's glaringly obvious to her that it's what she never had herself. It's almost too much – too perfect all over again - how can someone who doesn't really believe themselves capable of being loved deal when love surrounds them?

So when Lewis proposes to her in front of them all – she’s scared to death – and argues with him. He’s pushing too hard and too fast she says - she doesn't belong she says - and never will. (yes – it’s the dark moment folks…)

Lisa's Friend: Why are you so afraid to be happy – don’t you think that he’s worth the risk…?

Yes, there are elements of the film that probably go a *little* outside of the Romance remit (all the initial heroine relationship with a casual boyfriend being a prime example) But the tone is exactly right – the poignancy – the sheer awwww factor of the romance – the conflicts being worked through showing growth in the characters emotional journey – the dark moment – and yes, of course the HAPPY ENDING! When Lisa realizes she can’t do without Lewis and brings him flowers…

Lisa: Em – this is the part where you’re supposed to say wait – yeah see – I’m supposed to start to leave and… and that’s when… you forgive me for being such a coward and for being the last one to figure out what everyone else already knew. Then you call out ‘Wait - don’t go’ and I stop and we hold each other and then we know everything’s gonna be okay…
Lewis: I guess I’m not familiar with the procedure
Lisa: Yeah - I guess not. Erm… I guess I’ll see you around…
Lewis: Wait. Don’t go…. How was that?
Lisa: (crying) That was good.

So there you go - does it sound like a Romance Line movie to you??? It pretty much nails it in tone and emotion for me - but maybe if you see it you'll let me know what you think?

I give it a Warm and Fuzzy Rating of about 9.5/10 - but then I'm just picky...

H's & K's
Trish

Trish's latest release is for the Romance line. Rescued: Mother-To-Be is a Romantic Times Top Pick for April! And was recently reviewed over at The Pink Heart Society's Review Blog...

The book is available at both Amazon and EHarlequin. To find out more you can visit her Website or her Blog.


6 comments:

  1. That does sound like a 'Romance' film, Trish. It's another one I haven't seen, though - and can't since it's only available for Region 1 at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does capture the *tone* for me I have to say...

    Natasha - I'll bring it with me next visit - k? And we can watch it huddled round the magic laptop...

    Jennifer I'm glad someone else has seen it!!! Otherwise, until I bring it to show Natasha she might not believe me that it even exists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen it and own it on DVD! I like Mary Stuart Masterson and enjoy her films. This was a really sweet one...might have to watch it againt this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it's amazing you chose this film! If I had to pick ONE film that epitomised romance, this would be it. I watched it when I was a kid, and just LOVED it...and wrote a long long long account of it in my diary, writing down lines from memory...and not surprisingly, just the extracts you quoted.
    Tapsi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree... it's a romance movie. I've seen it a few times, and I always cry at the end. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete