Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sunday Spotlight on Tara Taylor Quinn

This week The Pink Heart Society spotlights Best Selling author Tara Taylor Quinn!

About Tara:

With over 40 original novels, published in more than twenty languages, Tara Taylor Quinn is a USA Today bestselling author with more than five million copies sold. She is a three time finalist for the RWA Rita Award, a multiple finalist for the National Reader’s Choice Award, the Reviewer’s Choice Award, the Bookseller’s Best Award, the Holt Medallion and appears regularly on the Waldenbooks bestsellers list. Ms. Quinn writes for Harlequin and MIRA Books.

Spotlight On Tara:

Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?

From living life. It can be something as simple as being at a mall and seeing a woman with a quad stroller (Merry Christmas, Babies) to sitting in court and hearing testimony on a white supremacy case (In Plain Sight, Behind Closed Doors.)

What makes you mad?

People hurting themselves and each other. I get angry when people disregard other people, when they get so wrapped up in themselves that they forget that their actions effect those around them.

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

I was taken to dinner at a fine Italian restaurant and when the waitress brought dessert the staff all discreetly stood around watching as, on the plate of dessert, I found a diamond anniversary band.

What in a hero makes you drool?

I like it when a man is confident without being cocky. Sure of himself without ego. And I’m always captured when he looks me straight in the eye and I can see emotion there. Kind of like Tom Cruise in the movie Top Gun.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

I would be incomplete and unhappy and dissatisfied. I’ve known since I wrote my first story at six years of age that all I ever wanted to be was a writer. I have a degree in English education but have no passion for teaching. I’ve worked many other jobs in many fields as I struggled to get published, but everything, always, has been on the way to writing.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

I’m not great at relaxing. I have to work at it. When I get there, I love to rollerblade – though this is more practiced healthy living than relaxing. I like to crochet. And watch old movies, though I have a hard time sitting still. I LOVE to shop!

How do you get out of a writing rut?

I’ve never been in one. There are times I’m distracted, but I know that all I have to do is remember that I want to be a writer and put my butt in the chair and focus. I allow myself to write garbage, knowing I can always fix it, and the words always come.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

Phoenix. I love Arizona. I’ve lived there almost twenty years and hate the idea of living anywhere else. I love to travel, but I always want to come home to Phoenix. Outside the United States, I’d choose Italy, but I love the United States and really just want to live here.

Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?

Oriah Mountain Dreamer (an Indian name.) She wrote a series of three non-fiction books called The Invitation; The Call; and The Dance. I read and re-read them and every time I want to thank her for sharing her insights – for making life not only accessible, but deep and moving and meaningful and joyful.

What music do you listen to when writing?

A lot of soundtracks. I always have music playing, but it’s different for different books. Some examples: The Godfather, Truman Show, Pearl Harbor, Life is Beautiful. I also listen to some new age stuff like Enya and Adiemus. And anything Pachebel.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you.

At the moment my life is an open book. I recently had my computer raided (by a personal acquaintance) and had all of my personal e-mail printed and passed around and that just about covered any secret I might have had. I don’t recommend having such acquaintances!

What was your most embarrassing moment?

I was in New York city for the first time, meeting my new editor and got lost and was very late. I came running in in a silk dress with sweat stains to find her standing with the VP of the publishing house (Harlequin) and they were discussing the fact that I hadn’t shown for my appointment.

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

My most recent MIRA, In Plain Sight more than doubled the sales of my previous romantic suspense release. I finished four books! And my daughter graduates from law school in May.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

I have a collection of miniature clocks that surround my keyboard. And on my desk are trinkets and pictures that I’ve collected over the years – each one meaning something significant to me.

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?

The man I love. Seriously, I can’t imagine wanting to kiss anyone but him.

What are you working on now?

Revisions for Behind Closed Doors – my October ’07 MIRA release. It’s a sequel to In Plain Sight, October ’06. I just finished the print out for Sara’s Son – a July ’07 Harlequin Superromance, and have revisions for The Baby Gamble, an October ’07 Superromance waiting for me to get to them. I also have a Valentine novella due May 1, and have four proposals that are due.

Tara's latest book is Harlequin Everlasting Love title: THE NIGHT WE MET.

Find out more about Tara and her books at her website. And check out an excerpt here...

Thanks Tara!

1 comment:

  1. Loved Tara's spotlight! I would also like to encourage you to see what Tara is donating for Brenda Novak's Jr. Diabetes auction to be held next month! Here's the link: