Monday, April 02, 2007

Spotlight Sunday on Jamie Sobrato

This week The Pink Heart Society spotlights Blaze author Jamie Sobrato who launches us into the week we have a bunch of Blaze Authors joining us for an online party at The Pink Heart Society's Yahoo Loop!!! So if you're with us in our love of hotter than hot hero's and the women that finally pin them down then come join us - and Jamie - all this week from the 2nd to the 7th April!!!

About Jamie:

Golden Heart Award-winning author Jamie Sobrato lives inside her own head too much to be anything but a writer. Originally from Louisville, Kentucky, Jamie now resides in Northern California, where she can be found staring vacantly at her laptop computer, claiming to be working on her next book. Alternately, when she’s not “working,” she is usually reading, hanging at the beach, traipsing around the woods, or building giant Tinker Toy sculptures with her two kids.

Spotlight On Jamie:

Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?

Everywhere! Going about daily life, anything might inspire a story idea—the news, a photograph, something overheard in a conversation, a debate with a friend, a random thought, etc

What makes you mad?

Mean people, injustice, and television in public places!

What in a hero makes you drool?

I love a hero who’s tough on the outside and sensitive on the inside—a man who’s in touch with his feelings, rather than afraid of them.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

Hmm, I’ve wanted to be a writer since I composed my first bad poem at the age of 8, so that’s a tough question. I think being a writer is such an essential part of who I am, there’s no separating me from it. But, if I somehow couldn’t write, I might be a psychologist, or a photographer, or a teacher. In fact I still sometimes think about combining one of those professions with writing to help keep myself out there in the world living and not just staring at a computer all day.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

I like to go to the beach, hike, and read. But I have small kids, so often “relax and wind down” simply means collapsing in bed at night and falling asleep.

How do you get out of a writing rut?

I find myself in writing ruts all too often. Sometimes it helps me to switch back and forth between working on several projects, so if I get stuck on one, I can move to another. Or re-reading what I’ve written may help, or taking a long
shower or bath—no idea why but thinking in the shower nearly always works. If none of those things helps, I might switch to brainstorming story solutions with paper and pen, or I may stop working entirely and go get some exercise or read a book that’s nothing like what I’m writing.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

Right where I am. I live in a beautiful Northern California town, close to San Francisco, great beaches, and beautiful mountains. I’ve lived all over the US and Germany, so when I finally had a chance tochoose where I wanted to live, I came straight here. I occasionally fantasize about living for a while in France, Italy, Bali, and/or India though. When my kids are grown, I might go wandering around the world again for a while and see where I end up.

Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?

Anne Lamott.

What music do you listen to when writing?

Right now I’m listening to old-school R&B, but for me the ideal writing music is something that doesn’t make me want to get up and dance so much. I often listen to anything instrumental and relaxing while I write.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you

I’m pretty confessional, so I’m not sure I can think of something no one knows about me. Well, here’s something probably no one knows—I really wish I could sing or dance on a professional level. Unfortunately, I’m a terrible singer, and I can only dance tolerably well.

What was your most embarrassing moment?

Do I have to answer this one? I have quite a few horrifying adolescent memories. One of them involves getting caught by my parents in a compromising position with my boyfriend in the back yard during high school.

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

Selling 3 more books to Harlequin Blaze was a big reason to celebrate. Also, I wrote a different kind of book last fall—a darker, more intense Blaze with a witch heroine, and when my editor said she liked it, I was thrilled, because I’d been worried about trying something so different. That book comesout in June, titled CALL ME WICKED.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

Right now, some grapes, but you caught me in a rare moment of healthyeating. Usually it’s a can of Diet Coke, I’m ashamed to say.

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?

My two kids. If I get to spend the rest of my life kissing them, I’ll be happy.

What are you working on now?

I’m working on 3 new proposals for Blaze, a trilogy of witch stories to follow up the one coming out in June. Fingers crossed that they sell!.

Jamie's latest book is Sex As A Second Language and is available right now at eharlequin and Amazon:

Eurogirl: A single woman in Rome. Sleeping with hot foreign men. Waking up blissfully alone. Sharing all the yummy details online. It's life just the way sexcapade blogger Ariel Turner likes it until the ideal Italian bed buddy comes along. Now she's found a candidate for that position. Marc Sorrella is drop-dead gorgeous and he has the most delicious moves!

Unfortunately Marc seems a bit too interested in Ariel's past and her blog—places she definitely doesn't want him to go. The best way to distract him? Turn the tables and dig around in his past. What she discovers just might revoke his eligibility for a spot on her top-ten-hotties list!

To find out more you can visit Jamie's Website here...And don't forget you can join Jamie and the other Blaze authors to talk about her book, life as a Blaze author and all the wonderful books in the Blaze series from tomorrow (2nd April) until 7th by joining The Pink Heart Society Yahoo loop here. We'll see you there!!!


  1. I'm with you on the Diet Coke beside the compute Jamie! That's one of my biggest sins....

    Really looking forward to getting to chat to you at the Yahoo party this week!!!

  2. Jamie, I read Sex as a Second Language last week. It was well worth the wait. I loved it. It makes me want to try a Eurogirl blog myself. It was a really fun read. Thanks so much. Mads

  3. Thanks everyone! You guys are such a fun group! And I'm so glad you enjoyed SASL Mads!