Thursday, March 29, 2007

Writers Wednesday with Pam Jenoff

Today we have something a tad different for you - the story of how one writer came to write for MIRA, Harlequin's single title imprint. A big Pink Heart Society welcome to Pam!

About Pam:

Presently an attorney, Pam Jenoff served as vice-consul for the U.S. State Department in
Krakow, Poland, and as the special assistant to the secretary of the army at the Pentagon. She is an expert on Poland and the Holocaust, and has published several scholarly articles and been honored by a number of organizations for her work in this field. Ms. Jenoff lives in the Philadelphia area. This is her first novel.

Call story:

I always wanted to be a write. I started writing by the age of five or six, sending in articles to children’s magazines, binding my stories into little books and showing them to anyone who would read them.

My first serious attempt at a novel came when I was living in
Poland in the mid-ninties . I lived alone in the countryside and had a tremendous amount of solitude, which helped me be creative and productive. But those were pre-internet days, and the lack of English speaking support and communication stopped me from taking it as far as I liked. I still hope to rewrite and publish that project in the future.

For several years after I returned to the United States, I couldn’t write much of anything. Then 9/11 happened and it really made me reevaluate what was important to me. I decided that if I was going to be a writer, I had to start then and there. Soon after, I took an evening class on novel writing. I knew that I wanted to write a novel that reflected my experiences in Poland. I was captivated for some time by the vision of a young woman nervously guiding a child across Krakow’s market square during the Nazi occupation. But it was not until early 2002 when I had the good fortune to ride a train from Washington, D.C. to Philadelphia with an elderly couple who were both Holocaust survivors that I learned for the first time the extraordinary story of the Krakow resistance.

Curious, I researched the
Krakow resistance further, and learned of their struggles, including the fateful bombing of a Nazi cafĂ© by a resistance group, and the eventual arrest and/or murder of numerous resistance fighters. I was amazed – how could I have lived and walked the same streets as these brave partisans for so long not knowing their story? How had the courageous story of these young people gone largely untold for so long? How many others had struggled bravely, risking everything in the name of freedom and hope?

And with that historical foundation, THE KOMMANDANT’S GIRL was born.

THE KOMMANDANT'S GIRL is available now!

For more information on how to get the book

1 comment:

  1. This author and her knowledge intrigues me. I have requested this book and am interested in the story and this entire era.