Thursday, March 15, 2007

Thursday Talk Time - Pat White & British Heroes


This Thursday at The Pink Heart Society guest blogger Pat White talks about the attraction of the British Hero...

Sexy. British. Heroes.

I confess: those were the three words that inspired my Blackwell Group series for Harlequin Intrigue. Once I had inspiration (Clive Owen, Christian Bale, Colin Farrell) I discovered some incredibly fascinating blokes—fictional of course—who had all worked for Scotland Yard’s Special Crimes Initiative.

What is it about those accents that cause me to forget to breathe when they speak? I don’t know, but it makes going to the movies a bit embarrassing – (unconscious woman in aisle five!)

Anyway, I figured writing three books with British heroes was better than one, right?

In The American Temp and the British Inspector, the leader of The Blackwell Group, Max Templeton, struggles with post trauma issues and guilt while trying to find the serial killer that got away when he was at Scotland Yard. Who better to challenge Max out of his self-imposed guilt than the enthusiastic Cassie Clarke, a girl with her own dark past, who has healed and moved on?

Jeremy has ghosts of his own that chase him clear across the globe to the small town of Mountain View, Oregon. In The English Detective and the Rookie Agent, Jeremy is investigating a missing boy, when he discovers he’s got a stalker. The reserved Jeremy Barnes doesn’t share his feelings easily, so it looks like he’ll have to solve his personal crisis by himself…but his new partner, Mercedes Ramos, has other ideas.

Miss Fairmont and the Gentleman Investigator hits US bookstores this week! No, you don’t have to read them in order – promise! This book features bad boy Bobby Finn who is assigned to baby-sit the American Grace Fairmont while she’s on holiday in Scotland. While she digs for answers about her mother’s life, Grace’s own life is threatened. Yet she won’t give up, and Bobby makes it his mission to keep her safe. Now, if he can only control himself around her, because he’s dangerously close to losing control and kissing the sweet beauty.

Who are some of your all-time favorite British heroes? Anyone ever watch Touching Evil or MI-5 on BBC? Robson Green and Matthew Macfadyen are tops on my list.

I’m thinking of creating a new series called Fortune 500 featuring billionaire superheroes . Thought I’d set the first story in Hawaii. What do you think? Is Hawaii an intriguing setting? Have you ever been? My husband and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary there in a couple of months. If anyone has scoop on Maui, please share!

Thanks for inviting me to blog today!

Pat's latest book for Harlequin Intrigue is Miss Fairmont and The Gentleman Investigator and it's available to order from eharlequin and Amazon.
To find out more about Pat and her books you can visit her Website
Thanks Pat!

7 comments:

  1. Ohhh, Pat, this sounds so goood...I love your books. Silent Memories still gives me shivers!
    Favorite Brit: Clive Mantle!!!!!
    Course Daniel Craig's resemblence to Steve McQueen means I'll probably MELT when I see him on screen.
    Thanks for the wonderful stories...Happy Anniversary!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You want a list? I LURVE brit heroes!

    Clive Owen
    Damian Lewis
    Jamie Bamber
    Matthew McFadyen
    Ioan Gruffudd
    Sean Bean
    Christian Bale
    Liam Neeson
    Jason Isaacs
    Hugh Dancy
    Colin Firth

    and more that I can't think of right now but I know are out there...I've seen MI5 a few times and enjoyed it.

    Who else? I'm sure if others come in and list a bunch, I'll be nodding my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OKAY as its less than 24 hrs til ST PATRICKS DAY I see the Irish girl is gonna have to step in and hand out a short GEOGRAPHY LESSON!!! Sheesshhhh!!!

    STOP STEALING OUR IRISH BOYS AND MAKING THEM BRITISH!!!

    Colin Farrell and Liam Neeson are boys from the emerald isle....!!!

    You're *very bad* ;)

    Now put them back this minute! When you come out and confess you all like Irish men then you can have them back... LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL 'Tis quite true. Confusing I know - but to be British they needed to have been born in the the northeast of the island of Ireland.

    There's a distinct national identity even then. The Scottish feel 'scottish', the Welsh 'welsh' and the English 'english'.

    So, since I was born in the bit of the United Kingdom that makes me English - here are some English actors:

    Rufus Sewell
    Daniel Craig
    Cary Grant
    Joseph Fiennes
    Ralph Fiennes
    Sacha Baron Cohen
    Paul Bettany
    Orlando Bloom
    Naveen Andrews
    Toby Stephens
    Jude Law
    Nathaniel Parker
    Jeremy Northam

    I hope! Though I must confess I've not checked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh. Ok, how about if we made it UK boys and not strictly British boys? I can understand the frustration as I'd hate for people to only identify Canadian heroes as cowboys or whatever.

    Let's face it, they're all hot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL

    No, that won't do either, Donna. :) If you're going to be as pedantic as Trish - and we have to allow it because it's so nearly St Patrick's Day - the only really safe thing to say is 'men from the British Isles'. That would include the boys from Eire.

    ReplyDelete