Monday, March 26, 2007

Sunday Spotlight with Carrie Alexander

This week The Pink Heart Society
spotlights author Carrie Alexander. Carrie has written for Love & Laughter, Duets, Temptation, Blaze, and SuperRomance.

About Author:
Carrie Alexander began her writing career on a whim, after reading an article about how easy it was to be a romance author. Though not as easy as all that, more than a decade later, she has published thirty books with Harlequin and St. Martin's Press, been a RITA finalist twice, and even appeared on a bestseller list or two. A lifelong Michigander, Carrie keeps busy between books by painting anything that doesn't walk away, which explains the floral mailbox and lime-green trash can. And almost explains the skunk with the fluourescent stripe.

Spotlight On Author: CARRIE ALEXANDER

Where do you get the inspiration for your books from? For the most part, straight out of my head. I've always had a fertile imagination, from the time that I would watch dinosaurs on the lawn when I was three. I'd point out the window and say, "Look!"

However, no dinosaurs have appeared in my books...yet.

With my Harlequin Superromance miniseries North Country Stories, I have drawn on the real world to some degree. Even though the settings and characters are fictional, I see many similarities around me--the river, the woods, the quirky townspeople. Except reality is sometimes even crazier than fiction! The stories I could tell...and probably will. :-)

What makes you mad?

My bad procrastination habit. In my alternate life, I'm way more disciplined.

Rigid, narrow-minded people who want to dictate the choices of others.

Feeling rushed and under pressure. In a real emergency, I'm cool and calm. But ask me to hurry and I'll get so frantic and irritated I'll snap your head off!

What in a hero makes you drool?

Quiet confidence. Arrogant guys, ones who brag a lot and pound their chest, are a real turn-off. I appreciate a man who is so sure of himself and so competent he doesn't have to tell anyone, he just goes about doing the job.Also, blue eyes. And looking good in jeans.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?Quiet confidence. Arrogant guys, ones who brag a lot and pound their chest, are a real turn-off. I appreciate a man who is so sure of himself and so competent he doesn't have to tell anyone, he just goes about doing the job.

Also, blue eyes. And looking good in jeans.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

Drink excessively.

Nah. The last liquor I had was the champagne Harlequin sent me when A FAMILY CHRISTMAS was named a RITA finalist. I made mimosas!

To relax, I watch TV or movies, read and when it's summertime, go for a long swim in the river basin I live on. Afterward, I relax on the deck overlooking the river, so swimming tends to take up an entire afternoon. Boy, I can't wait for summer....

How do you get out of a writing rut?

Take time off, if at all possible.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

A small stone house in the South of France. I'd have to ship over all my books.

Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?

The authors of the two books that most influenced me when I started writing, SPEND IT FOOLISHLY and THE BOYFRIEND SCHOOL. Both comedies, no surprise. Also I'd love to track down Frances Davies, who once wrote for Temptation. Her books were the best category romance I've ever read.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you...

I've been at the keyboard so much recently, I grew an eleventh finger. A special long skinny one that reaches the delete key.

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

It's been a really hard year, with lousy royalties, family illnesses, tight deadlines, dying cars and outrageous heating bills. Altogether, too many troubles. So just making it through to spring is worthy of a celebration.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

Water bottles. A cork board with photos, art and color swatches. CDs, a paperback dictionary and thesaurus, both falling apart. Assorted notepads. Binoculars, for when I see an interesting bird out the window.

What are you working on now?

I'm literally in the final days of a deadline for a Superromance that will be out in November of this year, A TOWN CALLED CHRISTMAS. It is, naturally, a Christmas story, about a woman who runs a Christmas tree farm and a Navy pilot who comes home for the holidays. But I can't wait to start on the next project I have in mind, something uncontracted, single title, and totally different for me. The first line of the first book came to me out of the blue the other day and if I can pull off the story that's forming in my head, it'll be outrageous. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Carrie!!

Carrie's current release is A READY-MADE FAMILY, which is one of the North Country Series for Superromance. It's a sequel to A FAMILY CHRISTMAS and was given four and a half stars by RT Book Club magazine. The heroine is really down on her luck and arrives in Alouette, Michigan in a car that's about to die, with three tired, cranky, hungry kids. They meet a gruff ex-Army Ranger and a skunk, in that order. Guess who gets sprayed? For more on Carrie, find her on her Deadline Hellions.

Keep an eye out for this month's Hamper question...Carrie kicked in an autographed copy of A READY-MADE FAMILY, plus a handcrafted tin fish ornament (she swears it's cuter than it sounds!)..

No comments:

Post a Comment