Monday, February 19, 2007

Sunday Spotlight on Roxanne St Claire

This month also sees the official launch of the new Harlequin Nascar series, and here at The Pink Heart Society we are pleased to welcome one of the launch authors in the form of author Roxanne St Claire!!!

About Roxanne:

I’m a full time writer, a mother of two, a lover of all things romantic and the proud author of sixteen novels to date! I write for Silhouette Desire, Harlequin/NASCAR and Pocket Books. My first novel came out in 2003, a romantic suspense titled TROPICAL GETAWAY. My publisher couldn’t release more than one book a year back then, so I was thrilled to sell a category romance to Silhouette Desire in 2004. My first category, LIKE A HURRICANE, went on to be nominated for a RITA award, and won several other major contests. I’ve since had six Desires released, and a few other books for Harlequin and HQN. I continue to write romantic suspense for Pocket Books, most notably a series about hot and fearless bodyguards, called The Bullet Catchers. I live on the east coast of central Florida, where it is basically palm trees and paradise all year round. I’ve been married for 17 years, have two children, one dog and a full, busy and blessed life. My favorite color is (of course) pink, and I have quite a collection of shoes in every shade from carnation to fuschia. Thanks for having me here!

Spotlight On Roxanne:

Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?

Absolutely everywhere! Newspapers, friends, television, and just my plain old overactive imagination. I think about people I’ve known in the past, drawing on one or two remarkable character traits, I study news stories for possible plot lines and I absorb life all around me.

What makes you mad?

I always tell my kids (13 and 9) that I can take ANYTHING but being ignored. I also get torqued at people who drive too fast through my development (there are kids everywhere!) and any injustice, real or imagined. It takes quite a bit to really make me angry.

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

I suppose I’ll have to limit that to “with my husband.” I was a serial dater into my thirties before I stepped into an elevator in my office building one day and saw the most gorgeous man, locked eyes and thought, “I gotta have that.” I was also a romance junkie, who lived for the thrill of falling in love. So, I have some pretty romantic moments in my past…and lots of them find their way into my books. But all in all, my engagement was one of the best. My man sent me on a limo ride, alone, to all the different spots in Boston where we’d had amazing nights…and the driver kept going in and coming back with notes, flowers, cards. Finally, the driver took me to the office building where my boyfriend (the gorgeous man mentioned above) and I both worked, although we were employed by two different companies. The timing was strange – a Saturday night in June – and the building was deserted. I was instructed to use a card key, and take the elevator to the sixth floor. I did, and when the doors opened, there was my darling Rich, in full Armani tux (yum-o). He stepped into the elevator, dropped to one knee, produced a blinding rock and said, “This is where I found you, and this is where I want to ask you to spend the rest of your life with me.”

Uh, that’d be a yes. :)

What in a hero makes you drool?

Tough on the outside, gooey on the inside. I love a man – even fictional – who can make me laugh with a dry, biting wit. Long hair, a sexy smile and broad shoulders are also some of my weaknesses.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

A wannabe writer. I like the news, and my business background includes 18 years in PR and marketing, so I would probably be freelancing for a magazine or the local paper, since my second love is reporting and nosing around in other people’s business.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

One of my favorite ways to relax is to curl up in bed with my nine year old daughter and watch the Style channel. We have hours of fun watching “How Do I Look” and “What Not To Wear.” I also love to sit poolside while my husband grills. He is a magnificent chef, and we live in Florida, so we enjoy many meals al fresco, at the water’s edge. Watching the sunset, sipping a glass of wine, and smelling his delicious work in progress is very relaxing to me.

How do you get out of a writing rut?

I try not to get in them! I like to vary what I write – jumping from single title to short contemporary. If I’m hitting a wall, I know there’s something off with my story and that I have to find it and fix it…eventually. I listen to my gut, which is rarely wrong, but so bothersome and loud when it screams “something is very wrong with this book!”

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

Northern California wine country. Sonoma Valley. Absolutely no doubt about it.

Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?

Leslie Kelly, Julie Elizabeth Leto, Emilie Rose and Cami Dalton are some of my very favorite category authors who write toe-curlingly good books. Debbie Macomber is my idol and my mentor. And I credit Susan Elizabeth Phillips for putting me over the edge…when I finished NOBODY’S BABY BUT MINE, I wiped my tears and said to myself, “I want to make someone feel this way. I have to try. I have to.”

What music do you listen to when writing?

I simply cannot tolerate music at all when I’m writing; I prefer absolute silence. However, I LOVE to blast the radio in the car after a long writing day, letting my characters play out little music videos while I belt out the lyrics to some solid gold oldie from the seventies. Granted, there are few things less attractive than a mom in a minivan rocking out to “I Want You To Want Me.” :) But who cares? I’m happy!.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you

See above. Singing in the car! All right…let’s see…I secretly imagine all those ex-boyfriends googling me and going to my web site and saying “Wow! She really did it! She wasn’t kidding when she said she wanted to be a romance writer!”

What was your most embarrassing moment?

Forgetting to lock the bathroom door on an airplane, and then having to walk the entire length of the plane – front to back, face to face with every single passenger – and not knowing which man had just walked in on me in the toilet. I blush just thinking about it.

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

So much! On the personal front: I discovered dogs. I have never been a dog person – quite the opposite, I’m embarrassed to say. My children and husband wore me down and I finally decided we could get a dog. This was a HUGE lifestyle change for me. We got an Australian Terrier, Pepper, and I love her more than words can say. She has opened my eyes to the world of dogs, she is next to me all day, every day. I walk her 1.5 miles twice a day, and I cannot imagine life without the bliss and comfort of a dog. On the writing front: More contracts, more readers, more books. It’s been a wonderful year for me.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

Let me see….half a can of Diet Coke (warm, I forgot about it while I worked), three bracelets I tried to wear, but they annoyed me, a pile of research papers about Tasmania (my next hero is from that incredible island), hand lotion, two notebooks, my children’s recent aptitude test scores, my reading glasses, a pile of bookmarks to send out to readers who request them, and…Pepper, my dog. Right on the floor, snoring.

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?

Oh. Oh. What a fun question! I know everyone says “my husband” – but where’s the fantasy in that? I kiss him every day. So, I think…Derek Jeter. With my eyes open. I just love that guy. He’s not the quintessential hot guy like Clooney or Brad or Johnny D. (Although they’d all be on my short list for a long kiss.) There’s just something about Derek’s joy that draws me in and inspires me. He’s actually my professional hero – someone who does a job that millions only dream about, but he does it so well and he obviously has a blast at work every day. I would like to be to romance writing what Derek Jeter is to professional baseball.

What are you working on now?

I just finished a Desire that will be out in December 2007…with title TBD. I have suggested THE STYLE OF HIS SEDUCTION, but I don’t know if that’s quite “Desire-y” enough. It’s a great reverse Pygmalian story about a very unconventional man who has to be restyled into a “conventional executive” and the woman whose job it is to change him. He changes…but not in the way she expects. And she changes, of course. And they eventually find love, but it’s a very fun and rocky road to get there. I had a blast writing it. Next, I’m writing three single titles, back to back to back – a trilogy that will all be released in 2008.

Roxanne has one of the first NASCAR/Harlequin series books out in February – called THUNDERSTRUCK - and she hopes it opens up a world of new readers who love romance and racing! "I was overjoyed to be asked to be part of this new line, tapping into the millions of women who love NASCAR racing and want to read romantic fiction about that very unique and thrilling lifestyle. In THUNDERSTRUCK, my heroine is a NASCAR team owner forced to sell half her business to a man who she believes is all wrong for the sport: a British “football” star (think Becks) who brings mountains of money and media, but no knowledge of American racing. They clash and wreck and spinout of control…and fall madly in love."

To find out more about Roxanne and her writing you can visit her Website or at

Thanks Roxanne!!!


  1. I love your engagement-night story, Roxanne!

    Jess x

  2. A great interview and what had me smiling was that Pepper was right there with you. I love dogs so this makes me smile. My puppy is always right there with me.

  3. Rocki, your engagement story is so romantic. If you put it in a book, you'd have to write one AWESOME hero to get readers to believe it!!


  4. Hi, Rocki! Loved hearing your stories :-). And I'm glad you discovered dogs!