Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sunday Spotlight on Louise Allen


This week at The Pink Heart Society we are proud to bring you a very special guest in the form of Historical Romance author Louise Allen!!!

About Louise:

All my books have been Regency romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon, and this month’s publication will be number nine, with three more scheduled for 2007. My 410 AD Barbarian is my first departure from my favourite period.

I’ve worked full time on the day job while I’ve been writing and my ambition is to escape from that as soon as possible to country life in Norfolk. My big fear is that with more time to write I won’t be so disciplined: at the moment I write in the evenings and set myself a daily target.

When I'm not working on a book I haunt antique auctions, collect Regency fashion prints, read voraciously and look after two gardens. Travel plans for this year include Christmas in Vietnam and attending a traditional Cretan wedding in August .

Spotlight Interview:

Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?

I wish I knew! Sometimes I can pin it down to an incident or something I read, but often it just comes out of my subconscious. I got the idea for Not Quite A Lady, from reading about a real 19thc incident where a poor woman was the victim of a bet that someone could make any address the most famous in London – chaos ensued when tradesmen started turning up with everything from tons of coal to pianos. Even the Lord Mayor arrived and it took all day to sort the street out. I couldn’t resist exploring what it must have been like to experience that – and naturally, my heroine Lily meets the hero in the course of it.

What makes you mad?

Unfairness, injustice – and queues.

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

On a trip to the Cotswolds - a good distance from home in Bedfordshire - I saw the most lovely Regency pastel portrait of a woman in an antique shop. After a brisk battle with myself (helped by visualizing the mortgage) I walked on and left it. Two days later on my birthday my darling husband turned up with the picture – he’d taken a day off work and done the round trip to buy it as a surprise.

What characteristics in a hero makes you drool?

A sexy twinkle in his eyes – and the back view.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

Still doing the day job as a property manager, which has its moments, but not when the drains are blocked.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

Sit in the garden with a good book, a glass of wine and the chair carefully angled so I can’t see any weeds.

How do you get out of a writing rut?

Set my subconscious to think up something different whether it’s an unusual angle or something new. I’ve just finished my first non-Regency romance, set in 410 AD - that certainly shook me up.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

I’d move full time to our Norfolk cottage on the coast. I love it – I feel the tension just drain out of me the moment we drive in the gate.

Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?

Too many to pick one – I’d be hopeless if I had to choose one for a desert island, I’d need a trunk at least.

What music do you listen to when writing?

None, otherwise I get distracted.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you?

Then it wouldn’t be a secret!

What was your most embarrassing moment?

I try very, very hard to forget those, so I couldn’t possibly confess.

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

A productive writing year, good friends and a fantastic trip to China with my husband.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

A towering stack of research books, a cooling cup of tea, my writing diary and a photo of the inspirational hunk of the day.

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?

My husband, for being such a fantastic support, such good fun and for being an amazing cook (although that’s not what I say when I get on the scales).

What are you working on now?

I’ve just finished chapter one of the first of what I hope will be a series of six Regencies about a set of cousins.


Louise's latest release is a Regency Historical - Not Quite A Lady is out now and is available to order online at
Mills and Boon and Amazon!!

To learn more why not visit Louise's website or The Regency Authors UK Site... And watch out for the end of month Hamper Contest when Louise is giving away TWO books!!!

Thanks Louise!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Louise,

    You're one of my favourite M&B Historical writers. I was up half the night finishing off Not Quite A Lady which was simply fantastic. I can't wait to read your Roman novel and the six part Regency series looks divine!

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on writing full time. I'm trying to get there. I do envy your eventual move to country life.

    Here's to a wondeful year of writing and further accomplishments.

    Michelle
    HQ Kimani Press

    ReplyDelete