Sunday, January 28, 2007

Spotlight Sunday on Linda Conrad

This week at The Pink Heart Society we are very excited to bring you award winning author Linda Conrad whose novels have been translated into sixteen languages and are sold in over twenty-two countries!!!

About Linda:

Growing up in south Florida, Linda made up stories and read everything she could get her hands on. After college, she taught first grade in Miami and tried to give the children as much love for the written word as she’d always felt. When her own true-life hero came along and whisked her away to five cities in seven years, Linda became a sales assistant, a quality control supervisor, a ninety-unit apartment manager and finally a stockbroker and Certified Financial Planner in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.

When her mother's illness brought her to Southern California, Linda and her sister told stories to her as she couldn't read anymore. And before she died, her mother told her to stick to telling them... Thankfully she did and she has since written for both Silhouette Desire and Silhouette Intimate Moments/Romantic Suspense. Linda's novels have been translated into over a dozen languages and sold in twenty-two countries. She has received numerous awards for her work, including being a finalist in the Book Buyers Best and winning both the prestigious Maggie and the Reviewer's Choice Award!!!

Linda gives workshops for fellow writers and loves giving back. She is happily living in south Florida and the best things in her life are writing emotional love stories and hearing from readers.

Spotlight Interview:

Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?

I’m just a natural storyteller who comes from a long line of Irish women who weave interesting tales. In fact, I have more stories and books in me than
I can possibly write in one lifetime. I love being able to move people.
For me, there’s nothing better than bringing joy or feel-good tears into
a reader’s life.

What makes you mad?

I’ve reached an age where very little makes me mad. Getting angry is just a waste of energy. People’s actions can still make me sad at times, though.

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

When my husband asked me to marry him, I told him okay…but I definitely reserved the right to renegotiate on our twentieth anniversary. I thought I’d keep him on his toes. Over the years I forgot all about my smart remark. But he didn’t. At our twenty-year anniversary he insisted that we design new rings and renew our vows. No more hesitation! Believe me, I had no smart remarks on that day. I was speechless – and so in love I could only nod and kiss him like we had the rest of our lives!

What characteristics in a hero makes you drool?

I’ve been thinking a lot about heroes lately. I’ve written many men characters who have a special place in my heart. But I think when it comes to the basics, I just love a hero who is tender-hearted and has a sense of humor. Give me a guy who can both laugh and cry and I’m in heaven.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

I did have another life once. I was a stockbroker and specialized in financial planning for retirees. It was a wonderful and fulfilling career, but now I could never give up telling the stories in my heart.
What do you do to relax and wind down?

When I lived in southern California, I relaxed by driving my Miata during club runs up into the mountains and in autocross races. Here in south Florida I relax by going with my family out on the ocean in our boat. We swim on the sandbars and find funky dockside restaurants for lunch! Of course in both places there is always SHOPPING!

How do you get out of a writing rut?

I’m not sure what a ‘writing rut’ means. If you mean days when I can’t face the page and feel I’ll never write again, I usually try to get some exercise and then read, read, read! If a ‘writing rut’ means getting bored with the subject of my last few books, that never happens to me. People ask me sometimes about changing genres, but that’s not what it’s about for me. To me every book is special no matter what genre -- and I just love pushing the envelope with both my characters and my plots.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

I’m happy almost anywhere. But I’m living now in the place where I grew up. It feels like home – usually.

Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?

I suppose I would say Janet Evanovitch for her Stephanie Plum books. Those books have seen me through operations, exasperating and interminable plane rides, and times when I needed desperately to escape. But neither she nor I are very big on hugging.

What music do you listen to when writing?

On occasion I will find music that puts me in the mood for the setting of my work in progress. But I don’t write to music. I’m too far off in the point of view of my characters when I write to pay a bit of attention to my surroundings.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you?

If I tell, then it’s no longer a secret, right? But one thing few people know is that I’m a closet Nascar fan. Just gotta love that Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick! Talk about your heroes…

What was your most embarrassing moment?

I’ve had so many of them that I’ve had to wipe them out of my memory banks or by now I would’ve locked myself in my house with a red face and never come out again!

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

Many things. First and foremost that my husband got a clean bill of health after a cancer scare. But also that the first two books in my Night Guardian series both received a 4 ½ star Top Pick rating from Romantic Times Bookclub. This series is both emotionally intense and a little paranormal and I’m celebrating that readers enjoy what I do.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

Notes on characters and research. Oh, and my trusty thesaurus! Nothing fun or unusual I’m afraid.

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?

There’s all kinds of kisses. I’m not much into air kisses, but I’ve done my share and will again. Sometimes it’s fun to be so girlie. Then there’s baby kissing. I just love that one. We have a toddler in our family now and she is a pure joy to kiss! But when it comes to romantic kissing, there is only one that turns me on and I suspect he will until the day I die.

What are you working on now?

I have two projects that have captured my attention at the moment. One is a proposal for another series for Silhouette Romantic Suspense – set in Texas. The other project is a new single title idea I’ve been working on. Set in Miami, it’ll be hot and also be a romantic suspense with a little paranormal thrown in to really set it on fire. I miss working on my Night Guardians, but there are so many stories to tell!

Linda's latest release is part of her Night Guardian Series - Shadow Hunter is out in North America and Canada now and is available to order online at eharlequin and Amazon!!

It is swiftly followed by an eharlequin online read called Shadow Lies in February and don't forget to look out for the other titles in the series later this year!!!

To learn more why not visit Linda's website or her Myspace...

Thanks Linda!!!!!

Diary Note:

Linda is conducting a week-long author Q&A event on from January 29th to February 2 entitled: Does Your Villain Scare You? She'll be discussing favorite villains and their roles in a story, and what it takes to make a good villain. She'll also be giving prizes and some tricks she has learned. The O&A link will be found by going to the Silhouette Series page


  1. Thank you Linda for so many things. First, for you excellent stories and second, for your advice on writing. You have helped me a lot on my goal to become a good author.

    I hope you continue to write for many years to come. You have a devoted fan in me and I really do love all of your stories. Madeline:)

  2. I'm really looking forward to reading your online story.

    And I can only envy you a tidy desk. Somehow mine collects 'stuff'.

  3. Thanks, Madeline! Good to see you here.

    And I do have another desk (away from the computer) that collects the 'stuff' Natasha. :) But I do admit to having this 'neat' gene that forces me to want to see what the wood looks like on my desktop every now and then.