Friday, December 29, 2006

Friday Film Night ~ When Harry Met Sally

This week’s induction into the Pink Heart Hall of Fame is a classic tale of man, woman, and miscommunication. A movie that tries to answer the question, can men and women really be just friends?


This is one of my favourite movies. Period. I own the DVD, movie poster, I even bought a copy of the screenplay! As I think it's one of the best written movies EVER! The fact that it was co-written by a man and a woman, long time friends who could be completely honest with one another, made for a telling tale of he said she said. Add in a depressed and not really all that heroic hero in the form of Billy Crystal, a perky heroine played by Meg Ryan in her rom com heyday, and you've got yourself a 1980s winner.


HARRY: The first time we met, we hated each other.

SALLY: No, you didn't hate me, I hated you. And the second time we met, you didn't even remember me.

HARRY: I did too, I remembered you. The third time we met, we became friends.

SALLY: We were friends for a long time.

HARRY: And then we weren't.

SALLY: And then we fell in love.

This love affair was eleven years in the making. In the beginning Harry drives Sally from Chicago to New York after college. She wants to become a journalist so that she can "write about things that happen to other people". OIn the way they discuss her days of the week underpants, the fact that you quite simply can't have a good sex life with a man called "Sheldon Gordon" and the fact that men and women can't be friends.

HARRY 'Men and women can't be friends. Because the sex part always gets in the way.'

SALLY 'That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.'

HARRY 'No you don't.'

SALLY 'Yes I do.'

HARRY 'No you don't.'

SALLY 'Yes I do!'

HARRY You only think you do.'

SALLY 'You mean I'm having sex with them without my knowledge?'

Over the years they meet again and again, in airports, on planes, in the self help aisle in bookstores and talk always turns to relationships. Friendship, sex, and why Sally hasn't slept with anyone since Joe while Harry has slept with the whole of New York to get over his ex-wife..

11 years and 2,000 miles later, they're still no closer to finding the answer. And they've never ventured past their friendship to discover the love that's right in front of them. Will these two best friends ever accept that they're meant for each other...or will they continue to deny the attraction that's existed since the first moment When Harry Met Sally?

THE HERO: Harry Burns thinks about death. Alot. He even reads the end of a novel first that way in case he dies before he finishes at least he knows how it ends.

THE HEROINE: Sally Albright - has there been a perkier romantic heroine? She dates. She hopes. She falls in love. And even though it never seems to work out for her, the glass is half full.

THE ROMANCE: The beautiful thing about this romance is the fact that it takes so long. They do actually become friends. They talk about things that men and women ususally keep from one another, the dirty little secrets of their gender. She fakes orgasms and he lies in bed after sex wondering how long he has to lie there and hold her before he can go home "to clean his andirons".

And then there is the most wonderful scene when her ex boyfriend, Joe, who she is soooo over, is getting married. Harry goes to her, comforts her. This is the first moment in which they act like something else. They become something else. He hugs her and pats her hair, and she cires into his sweater, all but blowing her nose on him.

SALLY ‘All this time, I've been saying that he didn't want to get married. But the truth is he didn't want to marry me. He didn't love me...I'm difficult.’

HARRY ‘You’re challenging.’

SALLY ‘I'm too structured. I'm completely closed off...I drove him away. And I’m going to be forty.'

HARRY 'When?'

SALLY 'Someday.'

HARRY In eight years.

SALLY ‘But it's there, it's just sitting there like this big dead end. And it's not the same for men. Charlie Chaplin had babies when he was seventy-three.’

HARRY ‘Yeah, but he was too old to pick 'em up.’

And then they make love.

Everything turns bad from here when Sally suddenly becomes just another woman to Harry. That whole "sex always gets in the way of friendhsip thing came true. Or did Harry make it come true as it was always his safety net to stop him from ever getting really close to a woman he truly liked?

New Year comes around (hence my choice for this film today!!!) and Harry comes to his senses.

HARRY: I love that you get cold when it's seventy-one degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're lookin' at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely. And it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

SALLY: You see. That is just like you, Harry. You say things like that, and you make it impossible for me to hate you, and I hate you, Harry. I really hate you. I hate you.

Don't you wish you'd written it?


Ally's latest Silhouette Romance, A MOTHER FOR HIS DAUGHTER is her first book set outside of Australia. It was the winner of the Cataromance Best Tender Romance for the first half of 2005. Think Rome, Tuscany and a gorgeous Italian hero that Romantic Times says "could tempt almost any woman".

For excerpts and the behind the scenes inspiration for this book, check out her website!


  1. LOL here we go again, Ally!!! I like *bits* of this movie. I think, in the end, it comes down to the fact that I wouldn't want to end up with Harry. There are some great lines in it, I'll give you that.

  2. I so loved the movie 'When Harry Met Sally' and am now wishing I could get my hands on the movie to once again watch it.

  3. I remember watching this movie on New Year's Eve with my then-boyfriend-now-husband! You're write Ally. Some great lines that I'd really wished I'd written.

  4. I've had this DVD for ages...still unopened! I LOVE Meg Ryan...but Billy Crystal will ruin it for me...Maybe after too many glasses of champers....

  5. I am a huge Sleepless in Seattle fan, though When Harry Met Sally, while having some wonderful lines, never really did it for me as romance, either. I always wonder if it would have been different with a different male lead...

    Also, I just posted on my blog, the original title was actually "Harry, This is Sally" LOL. I don't know why I find that so comical.. but maybe that's it -- the movie is great comedy, but I don't know that I buy it as great romance... IMO

  6. I'm thinkin' Billy Crystal may never quite make is as a Male on Monday ;). Samantha, I own a copy of the screenplay and even on that it was titled Harry This is Sally. Wonder when/why they changed it?