Friday, December 22, 2006

Film on Friday...Bridget Jones's Diary


This Friday, we have the quintessential rom-com, Bridget Jones's Diary.

I love this movie!

I laughed through it the first time, and the second time, and the third...and well, quite frankly, I've lost count now since its release in 2001.

Renee Zellweger is a stand-out Bridget, the thirty-something singleton who takes control of her life by starting a diary.

Her musings on men, friends, weight, cigarette and alcohol intake, and life in general can't help but suck us into her life and we go along for the funny yet sometimes poignant ride.


I adore Bridget's bluntness.

Who can forget her summation of Darcy's appalling reindeer jumper or her inner thoughts of her smug married friends at the dinner party?

There are many gorgeous and funny moments in this film, including her slide down the firemen's pole in her new job and her attempts at culinary expertise. I swear that blue soup looked putrid!



However, Bridget isn't the only scene stealer in this film, especially with the likes of Hugh Grant and Colin Firth vying for her attention.

Mark Darcy (Colin Firth) is so right for her yet she chooses Mr. Wrong for most of the film in the cad, Daniel Cleaver, her flirtatious and heartless boss.

Their fight scene is comical yet once again, we're left shaking our heads as Bridget lets Mark walk away to tend to dastardly Daniel.

Thankfully, Bridget comes to her senses eventually and running after Mark, in the snow, in her undies, is unforgettable.

Any film with 'diary' in its title would have me hooked as I'm a diary girl from way back. I kept one for years, writing in it on a daily basis and have recently gone back and had a bit of a read through some of them, cringing at the embarrassment I made of myself mainly over boys!
Yes, I've kept them all and no, they're not locked away though I seriously hope no one ever gets to read them!


Have you ever kept a diary? Any funny memories from it to share?

Nicola's bio in her books mention her diary fetish too!

To find out more, visit her website and blog.

Enjoy,

Nicola

4 comments:

  1. I wrote a diary through each pregnancy, which was very therapeutic. My husband read part of one where he didn't come off in it very well and went ballistic, but he shouldn't have looked, should he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a diary keeping daughter. Worrying, isn't it! :) She keeps it in the top drawer of her desk. And, no, I've never peeped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pick, Nicola...we watched the movie last night!!! I love the best friends, the office scene...love the movie!!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. No peeking into private diaries is sort of an unspoken rule, isn't it?

    Very quiet here...looks like everyone else is off doing last minute Chrissie shopping :)

    ReplyDelete