Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Temptation Tuesday - Pampering Time


So when was the last time you made some time for you? Fresh from the deadline cave, The Pink Heart Society's very own Trish Wylie seeks ways of relaxing after a particularly difficult book...

Well it's a fact of life these days, isn't it? S-T-R-E-S-S. We all know the word only too well - busy workloads - busy looking after family - busy doing housework and laundry and and and.. and basically stressing ourselves the whole time as we try to balance them all at once - and that's before we authors find time to write! Everyone knows what it feels like when you're constantly chasing your own tail. And there's simply never enough time... Especially as we now hit that madness known as Christmas (which is another example of time disappearing when we're busy - where on earth did 2006 go to???)...

So, now that I've emerged into the light I've decided it's time we Pink Heart-ers made some time for ourselves!!! I for one feel like a Spa break myself - you know, nice relaxing surroundings, lovely crisp white bathrobe and matching slippers to live in, sleeping poolside between treatments with hunky male masseurs... sigh... But we can't all afford that kind of luxury, so I thought I'd see what we can do for ourselves on a budget... Can I tempt you???

Planning the time is the key for relaxation according to experts. And that kinda makes sense - we schedule time to do all those other things, so why not a specific time each week to be good to ourselves? Music, a long soak in the bath, a walk in the park or by the ocean and of course, curling up with a good book... We just gotta make sure we make that time!

A nice hot bath is almost an event in itself these days as we all turn to ten minute showers - so make it an event I say - light those candles, froth those bubbles, pin that Do Not Disturb note to the door! Maybe even try some good old fashioned aromatherapy - it's the big thing now - and in most bath products - so you'll even be fashionable at the same time!

aromatherapy: aro·ma·ther·a·py - Is the use of volatile plant oils, including essential oils, for psychological and physical well-being. (Sounds good to me!) I even found a recipe you can use for a nice little massage at home or for a few drops in your bath:

Calming/Relaxing Aromatherapy Blend

  • 1 ounce carrier oil such as sweet almond
  • 10 drops Roman Chamomile
  • 5 drops Lavender
    Directions: Mix the oils well and add to a clean, air-tight dark glass container. Massage gently into the feet of the individual who requires increased calm. Giving yourself a foot massage with this relaxing oil is also delightful. Roman Chamomile has a strong sedative effect, so do not plan to drive or concentrate after using this blend.
    If you prefer to make a diffuser blend, make a blend with a ratio of 2 drops Roman Chamomile to 1 drop Lavender and add to your diffuser.

Alternatively - how about some music, a glass of wine, and a nice home-made, all natural ingredients face pack while your hair is still wrapped in a towel? I even managed to find you a recipe for one of those:

Avocado-Banana Masque recipe (For dry or sensitive skin.)

  • 1/4 mashed ripe avocado
  • 1/2 mashed ripe banana
  • 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (not low-fat)
  • 1 teaspoon wheat germ oil
    Mix all ingredients. Apply mixture to face and leave on 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse with tepid water.

More stressed than that? I tell you, after this book I may even try some meditation... if nothing else in the hope it might help me re-discover my muse along the way- what do you think? At the lovely BBC Health Website they even give you a technique for that kind of simple relaxation:

  • Choose a quiet place where you won't be interrupted.
  • Before you start, do a few gentle stretching exercises to relieve muscular tension.
  • Make yourself comfortable, either sitting or lying down. Start to breathe slowly and deeply, in a calm and effortless way.
  • Gently tense, then relax, each part of your body, starting with your feet and working your way up to your face and head. As you focus on each area, think of warmth, heaviness and relaxation.
  • Push any distracting thoughts to the back of your mind; imagine them floating away.
    Don't try to relax; simply let go of the tension in your muscles and allow them to become relaxed.
  • Let your mind go empty. Some people find it helpful to visualise a calm, beautiful place such as a garden or meadow. Stay like this for about 20 minutes, then take some deep breaths and open your eyes, but stay sitting or lying for a few moments before you get up.

Anything sound at all tempting to you? I may try all three in the absense of the free Spa-time avec hinky male... So what are you going to do to be good to yourself this next while? Come share your favourite methods of relaxation with us and maybe I'll find something else to try. I'm desperate at this point - help me out gang!!!

And let's all promise ourselves to schedule that *me time*, shall we??? I'm in.

H's & K's Trish

Trish's latest Romance is PROJECT: PARENTHOOD and is out now on the shelves in the US & Canada and direct in the UK & Ireland!

And White-Hot! is her first Sexy Sensation release in Australia and is available online at the Australian Harlequin site now!

For more info on her current releases you can visit her blog or her Website!

7 comments:

  1. Yep, I agree. We all need 'me' time. I have four children under seven and currently, a husband off work with a bad back. I have a book deadline to work to, as well as a house to run, an elderly dog and two geriatric cats. Not to mention ill parents, work in the PTA committee and...everything else!
    Curling up with a good book and a soak in the bath is my method of choice, but I'm definitely gonna use that aromeratherapy blend. Sounds great. Hope everyone else gets some 'me' time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicolette, your life sounds very like mine. Except I did five children in six years! Keep going!! :)

    As for finding 'me' time - double humph!!!!!!! Don't you think a 'friend' who has handed a book in would keep quiet out of empathy??

    Returning to my cave now ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore my bath but we are on critical water restrictions:-(

    BTW, Trish, just wanted to say I ADORE your cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No more kiddies for me, Natasha! Does my husband count as the fifth?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Triiiiiish, I have a book due in a week! What are you doing putting such temptations in my head!!!

    A bath and a book sound looooverly. And a massage, and chocolate and...

    Okay. no more.

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicolette - Sounds to me like you need to BARRICADE that bathroom door!!!!

    But you *have* raised that every debatable issue of the book in the bath.... I pretty much *always* drop mine in the bath and then they explode as they dry to the width of - like - four books! So it can never ever be read again....

    I dont know what Natasha will say, bit I think you can count your hubby as the fifth if that's any help??? ;) But then as a single gal I can tell you that i feels like so many guys my age *are all* kids.... ;0

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was up til nearly 3 putting together a synopsis, so I'm very ready for your pampering ideas, Trish! Yesssss!

    ReplyDelete