Monday, November 06, 2006

Sunday Spotlight on Sharron McClellan

This week's spotlight is shone upon Bombshell Sharron McClellan...

About Sharron:

I always planned to be a writer of some sort. However, when I went to college, I took journalism and creative writing and sadly, had the love of writing sucked out of me. It happens! So I turned to my next love--science. At first, I wanted to be a marine biologist, but there was the whole shark issue. Frankly, they freak me out.

Instead, I discovered the joys of playing in the dirt-a profession more commonly known as archaeology. For years, I focused on excavating ancient sites that included projectile points, burn pits and the occasional burial.

My focus returned to writing when I took a position during the archaeological off-season and ended up answering phones for Princess cruise line AKA The Love Boat. Which, when you consider I write romance, is somewhat ironic. It was during that time that I took to reading romance. It wasn't long before I fell in love with the genre and returned to my first love-writing.

Five years later, I sold The Midas Trap to Silhouette Bombshell.

Today, I live anywhere my feet stop for more than five seconds (currently Los Angeles). I write full time, butcher the Spanish language whenever I can, and blog about my travels and as angryromancegrrl. I believe in hard work, beer with ice, picking my friends brains for information, that Thrill of Brazil by OPI is the best color for my toes, and I swear that my Muse spends most of her time in the bar down the street drinking gin and tonic with extra lime.

Spotlight:


Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?

Lots of places.

Articles. The Internet. Conversations I have with friends and family. My critique partner and I are always batting snippets about. I also eavesdrop on total strangers. I know, it’s probably wrong (okay, very wrong) but people say and do the most interesting/bizarre things. How can I not pay attention?

What makes you mad?

Never mess with my family, friends or my money. And in that order.

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

My current boyfriend and I dated over a year ago, broke up and then got back togetherwith me a few moths ago. So picture this...I haven't seen him in over a yearand the thought of a reunion is NERVE-WRACKING. My stomach swarmed withbutterflies. I walked up to the door, shaking, and before I could evenknock, he flung the door open, pulled me inside, cupped my face with hishands, and kissed me.It was the perfect action. The perfect kiss. Perfect timing. And he's hot.

What in a hero makes you drool?

Tall is good. Broad shoulders are yummy! But in the long run, I want a man who does the ‘right’ thing—not the ‘easy’ thing. The kind of man you know would take on an army for you. I also like men who are upfront. While a ‘charmer’ is fun, I’d rather a man be honest. If a man is too charming, it makes me wonder what he is up too.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

I have Bachelors in Anthology and spent a number of years as an archaeologist—so I’d go back to that. I just spent four months in Oaxaca Mexico, and on my days off, I visited the archaeological sites. One of my favorites is Monte Alban. Now deserted, it was built by the Zapotc Indians. What I found amazing was that this huge stone complex was constructed by a people who had not yet invented the wheel or the forging of hard metal. It doesn’t sound like much but when you wrap your brain around the fact that they moved and cut stone without the help of either it’s mind boggling.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

Watch movies, drink red wine, and eat dark chocolate. If I’m dating a special man, I am not adverse to snuggling. In fact, I say ‘yay’ to snuggling!

How do you get out of a writing rut?

I’ll admit it…I goof off for a day. You know, clean, call my friends, work on my website, etc.--anything to procrastinate! Then I sit down and just start writing. It might suck at first, but it get’s me going again.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

A warm water beach and good SCUBA diving. I’m thinking the Caribbean or Australia. I’m one of those people who would rather be under the water than on top of it.

Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?

Madeleine L'Engle for writing A Wrinkle In Time. It was the first SF book I read, and I still have my copy from childhood. An amazing book and I recommend it for all YA readers. Aw heck, adults should read it too.

What music do you listen to when writing?

Each book has a different soundtrack that I write too. When I was writing BREATHLESS (an Athena Force Book) I listened to a mix that ranged from Shakira to Evanescence to Linkin Park. My current WIP (not sold yet so no name!) is being written to the new Evanescence album, The Open Door.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you?

I cannot curl my tongue. Not exactly a secret but no one really knows about it either. Oh, and I have a serious aversion to sharks. Add that up with my love of SCUBA diving and you get a sense of my conflicting emotions when I enter the water.

What was your most embarrassing moment?

I’d tell you but the current boyfriend would NEVER forgive me!

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

Quitting my day job and traveling. I just spent five months in Oaxaca, Mexico, two months in Hollywood, CA and am now on my way to New Jersey. Life is amazing!

I’ve also celebrated books sold (BREATHLESS) and released (HIDDEN SANCTUARY).

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

Meals I can eat with one hand. Coffee. A stack of books that range from The Writer’s Journey to the Describers Dictionary.

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?

Besides my current boyfriend? I’d say Gerard Butler. He is totally H.O.T. And that Scottish accent…YUMMY! (Sorry Mr. Clooney. Maybe next time!)

What are you working on now?

I just finished BREATHLESS (the Athena Force book) and am taking a breather. Once thing I’ve learned about myself is that after I finish a book, I need a week (or two) to clear my head of the information before I start a new work. This break was timed well as I am leaving for the New Jersey coast in a few days. After I get settled, I’ll work on my proposal for a Silhouette Romantic Suspense. No idea if it will sell but the optimistic part of me thinks, “Of course it will!” And there’s this erotica idea I’ve been tossing about…

Sharron's latest Bombshell, HIDDEN SANCTUARY, Book five of the Madonna Key series, is on shelves in North America from November 7th!!

For more about the book, check out her website and her angryromancegrrl blog!

4 comments:

  1. I certainly have to agree about Gerry Butler. How many ways can you spell "wow"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, me too! I think he's one of those undiscovered countries!

    Love the romantic moment too Sharron. Sigh...

    Thanks for playing!

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having me! Wonder if I can get the current BF to talk with a Scottish accent. Hmmmmm :-) Sharron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weird -- only yesterday I found an angryromancegrrl bookmark I picked up at RWA a year or two back.

    Great to see you here. I love Romantic Suspence so I'll be looking out for Breathless. Great cover, btw!

    ReplyDelete