Thursday, October 12, 2006

Writers' Wednesday with Yvonne Lindsay

This Wednesday we bring you Yvonne Lindsay's story of her road to publication as a brand new Australian Author for Desire...

Thanks for inviting me to blog here at the Pink Heart Society. You guys are gorgeous! And gorgeous is pretty much how I would describe most of the wonderful people I've met during my romance writing journey.

I was lucky enough to be introduced to the sheer bliss of reading romance, and escaping into fantasy worlds where happy endings were guaranteed, by a grandmotherly neighbour when I was thirteen. While my friends at school derided the genre, nothing could take away from me the satisfaction in seeing embattled heroes and heroines find their happiness together. When I was fifteen, and bolstered by a huge infatuation with Harrison Ford, I started to write my first romance. I never did finish it, but starting to write that story built in me a desire to try my hand at writing romance again and again. Life's intrusions came along the way--as they do--and throughout those intrusions I read literally thousands of books.

It wasn't until after the birth of my second child that I attended a talk given by Susan Napier (Harlequin Presents author) who gave me the contact information for a local organisation that subsequently became known as Romance Writers of New Zealand. If I'd thought the bliss of reading romance was mighty fine I was totally unprepared for the absolute joy in finding a group of people who, like me, openly loved to read and to write romance. The encouragement you get from a group of romance writers is huge. There's nothing and no-one like a romance writer to understand how devastating rejection can be, and in the thirteen years it took me to reach publication I had quite a few of those, and more than my fair share of commiserations from my peers.

Being part of an organisation opened new horizons for me and I entered many competitions, finalling in several and winning two--the RWAustralia Emma Darcy Award, and the RWNZ Clendon Award. Throughout my thirteen years of aspiration I consistently targeted Harlequin's London office, however, equally consistently, I continued to fall between the two major lines edited there. While my writing style was sensuous, my stories were more family oriented. Pushing my writing one way, or the other, wasn't working and risked jeopardising my 'voice'. Totally devastated after my last rejection from London, in early February 2005 I actually reached the point where I gave up altogether. I felt as if something inside of me had died and left me bereft of hope. Had all those years been for nothing? Eventually, two weeks later, a tiny flicker of hope rekindled and with a new determination I queried Silhouette Desire in New York. I was stunned to received a request for my full manuscript only two weeks later. Three weeks after I sent away the full manuscript I received the call that changed my life forever. The offer to buy my story. Since that magical call, on 21 April 2005, I've sold three more manuscripts to Silhouette Desire and I'm happy to attest that with hard work, and perseverance, dreams really do come true.

All the best

Yvonne's first book The Boss's Christmas Seduction is out now and you can read an excerpt here. And we just found out that it hit #4 on the Waldenbooks bestseller list in this its first week!!!

Visit Yvonne's Website

Or join her Yahoo! Group here


  1. Yvonne I read your book last night, I was really tired, but I couldn't put it down. I loved Holly and Connor's story, and it was certainly very hot!!!! I can't wait to read the other stories, oh and the end of the Round Robin story online too!!
    Fantastic!! I'm very pleased for you!!! And I especially like that you have written linked books: my very favourite kind!!!

  2. Oooh, I'm jealous! I wanna read. And truth be told I wanna get my hands on that COVER!!! Is it not one of the most gorgeous you've ever seen?

    Yvonne - I can even see a hint of a young Harrison Ford in the hero as well. Mmmm....

    Seems there is a theme to these newbie sales - perseverance and a lifelong dream realised.

    Love it!!!


  3. Congratulations Yvonne! It's great to hear that you're finally living your dream.

    It gives me cold shivers when I think about how close you came to giving up - your story is yet another reminder to the rest of us aspiring writers: NEVER GIVE UP!

    Sue :-)

  4. Great story, Yvonne, and very inspirational.

  5. Congrats Yvonne. A really wonderful call story.

  6. Many many congratulations to my lovely Tallest Twin! That's what you get for being brave. I'm so happy for you.

    I hope that one day we'll mneet again in person to celebrate your success with a teensy bit of champagne



  7. Hey Yvonne, it's so great to see that all your hard work finally paid off!!!

  8. Yvonne, I love your call story. Read it first on chills as I read it again this time. I can totally identify with reading 'thousands' of books...what fun!

    I'm so happy for you. Thanks for inspiring us with your story. I can't copy is on order.


  9. Yvonne,
    Congratulations on your first book. It's wonderful seeing it on the shelf, isn't it?
    And such a great cover! I wish you much success writing Desires.
    Best wishes from another Desire author,
    Charlene Sands
    (Remember our dinner with Jessica in Reno?)

  10. Yvonne, thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on all your sales!

  11. Yvonne,

    I can't wait to get my hands on your first book. How thrilling to have it hit #4 on Waldenbooks first week out! It just goes to show how you've honed your skills over the years it took to find success.

    Your story is inspirational. And I can identify with that early Harrison Ford interest!

    All the best with this book and your future ones.


  12. So great to read your story and what a spectacular debut for your first book.

  13. Gosh, sorry I'm late in here. Thank you all for your welcome and congratulations. So great to see so many familiar names here.

    2paw, I'm glad you enjoyed Connor and Holly's story.

    Kate, oh yes, champagne is good ;-)

    Charlene! Of course I remember meeting you and having dinner in Reno. It was a fabulous evening.

    All the best everyone!