Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sunday Spotlight on Rebecca York

This week, we here at The Pink Heart Society, are both honoured and excited to shine our spotlight on Best-Selling, Award winning Author Rebecca York!!! Also writing as Ruth Glick, she has penned over 90 novels, including authoring or co-authoring over 40 in the Romantic Suspense genre...


Like many writers, I always loved making up stories. Mine were full of adventure, romance, and suspense. As a child, I roped my friends into adventure games or acted out romantic suspense stories with a cast of dolls. And after we emerged from our Saturday afternoon at the movies, I’d get my friends to play the parts of the characters we’d seen on the screen.

But I’m dyslexic. I had a terrible time in elementary school. I had trouble learning to read. And my spelling was awful. I was the kid the teacher called up to the front of the room so she could yell at her in front of the class. So I never assumed I could be an author. My life changed, however, with the invention of th
e word processor and spelling checker--and the help of my husband, Norman Glick, who spots spelling errors from fifty paces away.

It blows my mind to think about people who have never written anything for publication and start off with a 100,000-word novel. I started writing newspaper and magazine articles–then began taking a writing seminar at my local community college, where I listened to people reading chapters of novels. That was where I started my first novel–a kids’ science fiction story called THE INVASION OF THE BLUE LIGHTS. Around that time, romances were also becoming an important part of the market. I got a group of four of us together, and we wrote and edited a romance together. Believe it or not, we sold it. I wrote straight romances for a few years. Then I figured out I’m better at romantic suspense. That’s been my focus for the past 20 years. And I love adding the paranormal elements that I enjoyed in the books I read when I was a kid.

At the same time, I’ve kept up my non-fiction career with fifteen cookbooks. Recently, I updated my DIABETES SNACK MUNCH NIBBLE NOSH BOOK for the American Diabetes Association. They’re putting out a mainstream edition called SNACK ATTACK later this year.

In my fiction career, I’m still writing for my favorite Harlequin line, Harlequin Intrigue. And I’m writing bigger books for Berkley Sensation. I have two series going. My werewolf Moon books and my Beyond series on sexually linked telepaths.


Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?

I write about subjects that interest me. I might get ideas from a newspaper article I’ve read or from movies or from some of the books I read when I was a young. For example, since I first read THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE, I’ve been interested in the concept of a parallel time continuum. I used that idea in my next Berkley, NEW MOON, coming out in March 2007. The heroine is from an alternate universe that started out like ours, but became very different. In her world, lots of people have psychic powers—which developed from an event near the turn of the century.

When I was fifteen, I read DARKER THAN YOU THINK, by Jack Williamson. It was my first werewolf story, and Williamson made me want to BE a werewolf. In 1990, I read THE WOLF’S HOUR, by Robert McCammon. Those two books made me want to write a werewolf book. I came up with the idea of a werewolf detective who used his wolf senses to solve crimes. It took me a long time to write that story because I wondered, “Who would buy that from me?” Finally, I decided I HAD to write the story. And I was really glad when Berkley wanted to buy it.

What makes you mad?

People who talk in movie theaters.
People who talk loudly on cell phones in restaurants.

People who push their way into lines.
Constant interruptions when I’m trying to work.

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

When my husband bought me a romantic cruise—and gave me a choice of going to Alaska or the Greek Islands.

What in a hero makes you drool?

A macho, in-charge guy, whose personality was formed by a sorrow in his past or a difficult childhood, who meets a woman who has the power to change his life. They find themselves in terrible danger, and he realizes that if he can’t save her life, his own life isn’t worth living.

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

Landscape architect.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

I garden, read, cook, watch Home and Garden TV. I like wandering through beautiful gardens. I’m a workaholic, so I also love finding a beautiful spot to work. I’ve even created that in my sunroom at home. But I also like taking a trip to a plush resort where I can work half the day and play half the day..

How do you get out of a writing rut?

What’s a writing rut?

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

I love living near Washington, D. C. I feel I am near a center of power in the world. I know some people have summer homes. It would be hard to transport three cats to a summer home. If I could do that, I’d like a house on the water.
Who would you most like to give a hug to for a fabulous book you’ve read?

Jack Williamson. But I’m sure he wouldn’t want to be hugged.

What music do you listen to when writing?

I usually don’t listen to music when I write. I might turn on classical music, though.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you?

Nobody? If it’s that deep a secret, I certainly can’t tell YOU.

What was your most embarrassing moment?

Long ago, at the national conference of Romance Writers of America, I listened to a presentation by a publisher. Afterwards, I rushed up to my agent and said, “They didn’t say ANYTHING.” Later she told me she’d been speaking to the publicist for that publishing house when I blurted out my announcement.

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

I came home from a conference in upstate New York to find out that I’d gotten two nominations for the New Jersey Romance Writers Golden Leaf Award. For my novella, “Second Chance,” in MIDNIGHT MAGIC, a paranormal romance anthology published by Tor, and for SHADOW OF THE MOON, my last paranormal romantic suspense from Berkley

This year I added a new entrance hall to my house. Above it, in the old master bath area, we built a wonderful new bathroom and a huge closet. It’s like being in a luxury hotel every day.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

A cup of tea and, ideally, a nice fluffy cat. Ozzie or Harriet. Ozzie’s the mom, and “Harry” is her daughter. They’re rescued cats with a lot of Maine Coon genes. The purebred cat, an Abyssinian, is my husband’s cat. She sits beside HIS computer.

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?

My Husband!

What are you working on now?

I’m working on two books. One’s finished, and I’ve put it aside before editing it. It’s a Harlequin Intrigue called ROYAL LOCKDOWN about terrorists who turn off the electricity all over Boston and terrorize an international reception. My hero’s a security expert trapped at the reception with a princess. I’m also writing a sequel to one of my Berkley books, BEYOND CONTROL. It’s called BEYOND FEARLESS and continues the story of my sexually linked telepaths whose powers are turned on when they become intimate with each other.

Thanks Rebecca!!!

CHAIN REACTION is Rebecca's October Harlequin Intrigue. It’s the first book in the Security Breach series. Next up are Ann Voss Peterson and Patricia Rosemoor. The cool thing about the series is that the explosion gives some of the heroes paranormal powers. But it also gives them to some of the bad guys...

And in November Rebecca's Berkley bookMOON SWEPT hits the shelves. Be sure to look out for it!!!

You can visit Rebecca at her Website or her Blog


  1. Rebecca

    I'm going to have to confess I'm a fan of you and enjoyed CHAIN REACTION. It's my favorite intrique for 2006. And ROYAL LOCKDOWN just sounds wonderful.

    I'm actually contemplating giving myself the special Light Street series for Christmas for

    Continued success with your books.

    I'm also wondering how and when you wrote 90 book since you look a beautiful heroine in your pic. :-)


  2. Great interview, I really enjoyed reading about the kind of books that had inspired your writing.

  3. "What's a writing rut?"??!!


    I love your cover for Chain Reaction, Rebecca.

    Jess x

  4. Wayne, thanks! It would be nice to know that SOMEBODY is buying the re-issue of the Light Street Series. (reissued in the book club--hint. hint.) Harlequin has sent me the first five books, and I did love the covers.

    How do I do so many books? I basically spend my days sitting and writing. Also, the more you do it, the more skilled you get and the faster you can write. I write much faster than I used to. But I still need a lot of time for editing.