Sunday, October 15, 2006

Spotlight Sunday on Nicola Marsh

Our spotlight is being shone this week on The Pink Heart Society's very own Nicola Marsh! One of the most prolific writers we know of, Nic sold her first manuscript to Harlequin Mills & Boon in 2003. She writes for the new Romance line and this year sold to a second line; Modern Extra. To top off the year she was then a finalist for the Holt Medallion!!!

ABOUT NICOLA:


Writing has always been a passion, starting at the age of 8 when I designed and scripted elaborate ‘Abba’ and ‘Grease’ concerts for family and friends. Being a voracious reader, I devoured every Enid Blyton book I could lay my little hands on and soon became addicted to all books, including the Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden series.
In my teens, a love of English literature led to dreams of being a journalist. However, a work-experience stint at a hospital led to a change of career path and I later qualified as a physiotherapist.
I’ve dabbled in sports medicine, private practice, community health and vocational rehabilitation before finding my true calling in life, to be a romance author.

SPOTLIGHT ON NICOLA:

Where do you get the inspiration for your books from?

Ah…the infamous question! In response, I’d have to say everywhere! It might be a newspaper headline, an article or a person’s expression as they pass me in the street and suddenly, voila!

What makes you mad?

Bad drivers, intolerant people, people who talk over you...

What’s the most romantic thing that has ever happened to you?

Seeing my hubby cry as I walked up the aisle.

What in a hero makes you drool?

I adore the protective hero, the kind of guy who sweeps you off your feet and keeps you cradled in his arms forever. Sigh…

If you weren’t a writer what would you be?

Hmm…I’d have to say physiotherapist as that’s what I was before starting to write 4 years ago.

What do you do to relax and wind down?

Read! If I could, I’d loll around all day and devour book after book. Instead, I get to play Thomas the Tank Engine and Leggo with my very active toddler instead to ‘wind down’!! .

How do you get out of a writing rut?

Write continually. It’s the only thing that keeps me going, keeps me focused. If I have more than a week off, I find it very hard to get back into the next story.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

I’m a Melbourne gal through and through. I absolutely adore the city I live in which is why I set most of my books here, trying to give readers a little taste of this fabulous place.

Who would you most like to give a hug to?

All the wonderful friends I’ve made through this incredible job.

Name a fabulous book you’ve read?

Bet Me by Jenny Crusie. I’ve read a few of hers and I’d have to say this was one of my faves. Ms. Crusie at her best!

What music do you listen to when writing?

None. I’ve tried it but it’s too distracting. I much prefer silence when I write. It let’s me get into the characters’ heads more.

Tell us a secret nobody knows about you?

I used to be a football groupie!

What was your most embarrassing moment?

Throwing myself into the arms of a cruise director after having performed a skit on stage. I was so hyped up and I think he was just opening his arms to say ‘well done’ and I flung myself into them. Hugely cringe-worthy!

What have you had to celebrate in the last year?

Selling to the new Modern Extra line, entering and finalling in the HOLT medallion and Booksellers’ Best Award for the first time.

What’s beside your computer when you’re writing?

A pile of junk! Stacks of papers, pens, post-it notes and stuff I’ll get around to tidying up when I finish the next book.

If you could kiss anyone in the world who would it be?

The darling men in my life, of course. Though if we’re talking fantasy stuff, I think the delicious Hugh Jackman would have to be up there too!

What are you working on now?

My very first sheikh book. It’s a real thrill to try something different, to step outside my comfort zone.


You can visit Nicola at Her blog or Her website

Her current release, FOUND: HIS FAMILY, is out now in North America as a Silhouette Romance.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nicola,
    I'm currently reading Found: His Family and oh my, it's a heart tugger - I'll have shed a few tears before I reach the end! I LOVE Jed and I'm looking forward to seeing how the major conflict between him and Aimee is resolved, because as a reader I'm currently not at all sure that they can ever repair their relationship. As a writer I can't wait to see (and learn) how you've tackled it, and draw it to a HEA.
    Congratulations on your successes over the past year!!
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nic, congratulations on all your books and the Holt nomination! Isn't writing with toddlers fun? I remember when all I got was the time he was napping -- which wasn't nearly long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nic,

    It sounds like you've got your hands full with that writing schedule and your son. As Anne said - real fun! I remember writing through preschool breaks - they were never short enough! I'm amazed at your productivity.

    Congratulations on finalling in the Holt Medallion. That must be a huge thrill!

    Off now to try and follow your example and get stuck into the current book.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls :)

    Sue,
    Found: His Family was a tough one for me to write. My editor asked for 'really emotional' and I tried to produce it.
    I'll look forward to hearing what you think!

    ReplyDelete