Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday Film Night - While You Were Sleeping

This Friday at The Pink Heart Society, make yourself nice and comfy as Trish Wylie brings you her favourite Romantic Comedy... of all time... ever...(so far)

While You Were Sleeping - A story about love at second sight.

There is no Blog on the planet long enough for me to tell you how much I LOVE this movie!!!! So, be warned, because I make no excuse whatsoever for taking lots of time and using lots of gorgeous pics to persuade you to feel the same way!!!

While You Were Sleeping is the story of Lucy Eleanor Moderantz, a single, hard working girl, all alone in the world. But played as she is by Sandra Bullock, you just know she's going to have that girl next door quality, a quirky sense of humour and a vulnerability that you can't help but take to from the moment her narration begins.

This gorgeous film begins with our Lucy telling us a little about her Father, the Mother she lost... and the man of her dreams, who she has never spoken to but has admired from afar (who hasn't been there I ask you?)...

Lucy: Well, the first time that I saw him he didn't exactly give me the world. It was a dollar fifty for a train token. I looked forward to it every single day. He started coming to my booth between 8:01 and 8:15 every morning, Monday through Friday. And he was Prince Charming. We've never actually spoken, but I know someday that we will. I know it. I know that someday I will find a way to introduce myself and that's going to be perfect, just like my prince.

But things just don't work like that, do they? And instead, by a quirk of fate, Lucy's 'Prince' is mugged on the empty platform and falls onto the tracks - where our heroine saves his life. Then the fun begins...

Because at the hospital there's a bit of a mix up and when her mystery man, Peter Callaghan's (played by Peter Gallagher - yes, I know, confusing..) large family appear, Lucy is introduced by a nurse as his fiancee!

Lucy: I'm not his fiancee.
Nurse: Why did you tell me that you were?
Lucy: I'm not engaged. I've never even spoken to the guy.
Nurse: What? Well, do-, downstairs, you said, you said you were gonna marry him.
Lucy: Oh, geez, I was talking to myself.
Nurse: Well, next time you talk to yourself, tell yourself you're single and end the conversation

Before she knows it she's whisked into the family circle smack bang in the middle of Christmas - which is normally a lonely time for Lucy... You can completely understand why she let's it happen, even reluctantly, because it's exactly the kind of family that Lucy would have wished for - no matter how crazy they are - or how overwhelming they can be en masse... But then she meets Peter's brother Jack (played by Bill Pullman)... and things get complicated! Because Jack is sceptical about her relationship with Peter, and now that Lucy knows that Peter's Grandmother has a heart condition - and the entire family have welcomed her in on what she knows to be a pretence... things are just getting way more difficult for Lucy than she could ever have foreseen when she was dreaming about her mystery Prince...

When she talks to Peter while he lies in his coma, we learn more about why Lucy might want to hold onto his family for as long as she can...

Do you believe in love at first sight? Nah, I betcha don't,
you're probably too sensible for that. Or have you ever, like, seen somebody? And you knew that, if only that person *really* knew you, they would, well, they would of course dump the perfect model that they were with, and realize that YOU were the one that they wanted to, just, grow old with. Have you ever fallen in love with someone you haven't even talked to? Have you ever been so alone you spend the night confusing a man in a coma?

While the family continues to welcome Lucy with open arms, Saul (a close friend of the family), who overheard Lucy talking to Peter in the hospital, tries to get her to hold back on telling them... And all the while, amidst the confusion, is Jack. Who is fascinated by his brothers new 'fiancee', and continues to try to get to the bottom of their relationship...

Jack: I guess I don't remember meeting you.
Lucy: Well, that's probably because we've never met.
Jack: That could have something to do with it.

He's never been jealous of his brother -before. But the more time he spends with Lucy, the more the 'relationship' she has with his vain brother doesn't make sense to him...

Jack: When did you start seeing Peter?
Lucy: September 17th.
Jack: Three months, that's fast.
Lucy: You have no idea.

The fact that she is his brother's fiancee doesn't make Jack's feelings for her go away, and then the film adds to the mix the hilarious Joe Jr. - who is Lucy's landlords son. He has a major crush on Lucy, and yet is protective of her in a very cute kinda way too. Which Jack doesn't much like. And he likes even less when Joe announces that Lucy is his girlfriend?!

Joe Jnr: O.K., Lucy, it's either me or him!
Lucy: Him.
Joe Jnr: You don't have to answer right away.

So through all the confusion and crossed wires, Jack and Lucy grow closer. Which would be great, if Lucy wasn't confused by the mixed signals from Jack and Jack wasn't holding back because Lucy is out of bounds...

Lucy: What do you want from me, Jack?
Jack: I want you not to be unhappy.
Lucy: And what are you, the Happiness Guru, Jack? Are you happy?

There's just so much in this film to endear the characters to us! From Elsie, the Grandmother with the troublesome heart problem:

Elsie: I like Mass better in Latin. It's nicer when you don't know what they're saying.

To Lucy's boss Jerry, who is constantly on hand to offer her advice when she needs it:

Jerry: You're born into a family. You do not join them like you do the Marines.

And there's no doubt in my mind that there's a strong link to Category Romance in this film. It has well rounded characters, loads of great conflict, an underlying edge of deep emotion beneath the humour, a heroine we can all take to, a hero we can all understand her being attracted to... Can you tell I LOVE this film???

Most of all I love the fact that Lucy comes so close to making a huge mistake, to get to keep the family she has fallen in love with. Yet when it comes to the crunch she just can't do it. She takes a chance on all or nothing...

Lucy: The truth was that I fell in love with you. Yes, all of you. I went from being all alone to being a fiancee, a daughter, a grandaughter, a sister, and a friend. I may have saved your life that day, but you really saved mine. You let me be a part of your family. I haven't had that in a really long time.

Yes, from those opening scenes when we see a young Lucy with her Father, right through to the end when she gets her Happily Ever After, I'm hooked. So much so that I wore out the VHS copy I used to have and am well on my way to doing the same to my DVD... The only thing that makes me sad is that it may be quite some time before I find a modern day romantic comedy that I'll love as much. Come on Hollywood... prove me wrong!!!

Lucy: Peter once asked me when I fell in love with Jack. And I told him, "It was while you were sleeping."

Warm and Fuzzy Rating: A resounding 10/10!

H's& K's

Trish has a new release this month - O'Reilly's Bride is her one and only Silhouette Romance and received a 4 & 1/2 from Romantic Times and a 5 STAR review from Cataromance where it was a Reviewers Choice Award Nominee for Best Tender Romance!

You can also now sign up for Trish's brand new newsletter here for info on releases, competitions and fun things like Irish Recipes...

Her Website
Her Blog


  1. I love this movie. For me the best romantic movies are While you were Sleeping, Head Over Heels, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. A little comedy, a little romance and alot of HEA!

  2. Oh I so cry myself into a state of happiness at the end of this film!! I love Bill Pullman, he is cute and funny in this and Sandra Bullock is quirky and endearing too. They are both gentle and kind people, kept apart by circumstance, and they work out their Big Misunderstanding and live happily ever after. This is one of those films I have to stay and watch to the end every time I see it, just to make sure it all ends HEA!! An excellent choice!!!

  3. Oh this is one of my favorite Sandra films. The only one I like more is Only You :o) Have to pull the tape of this one out and watch soon.

  4. I love this film to bits! Then again I love pretty much all of Sandra Bullock's films, and Bill Pullman is just yum in whatever. I also love triangles (and tend to write them too!)and even just thinking about this film is making me all warm and mushy inside. Big happy sigh!

  5. When I first heard about this film, I couldn't imagine how it would work. It did, though. It's a tribute to the actors -- and to a well done script because it's a hard concept to pull off and make the characters sympathetic. Good choice, Trish!

  6. I love this film too! And I haven't watched it for ages, so guess what? Yep. That's right. I'm gonna go put it on!

  7. Can I now say that I don't like this movie at all??

    (Ducking to avoid pelting jaffas)

    I love Sandra, I love Bill, I think the family are adorable, but it just doesn't do it for me. I get no warm and fuzies, I don't connect to the characters. Not sure why. I know it's on the top ten list of almost every romance author, and every girl I know owns it on DVD, but nope, not me.

    Maybe I'll have to watch it again and let you know if I change my mind...


  8. I've only ever seen this film once, and I'd forgotten 'til I read this post how enjoyable it is. Thanks for the reminder Trish. Another film to go on the DVD list!

  9. Oh my Ally!!! You're taking a chance aren't you???

    Maybe I should list all the great things about this film again? ;)

  10. I love this movie! It is one of my faves!

  11. It's one of my favorites, too! Maybe the best Sandra film ever! Must pull the DVD out...


  12. Ally!!! I'm with Trish. A 10/10 film.

  13. Count me in as a HUGE While You Were Sleeping fan. I once even assigned the monologue-at-the-wedding to one of my students for a class project (hey, it *was* a drama class, so it fit...)

    And a little trivia here -- did you know that WYWS was almost called "Coma Guy"? That was the original title on the script. Somehow, I don't think it would have resonated quite as well...

    Thanks for the reminder, and the warm fuzzies!

  14. I loved this movie and how this family made Lucy feel so welcome!

    Here's an interesting fact: The role of Lucy was written for Demi Moore. Sandra Bullock took the role, saying she could relate to it having just broken up from a four year relationship.