Friday, October 20, 2006

Film on Friday - 'The Truth About Cats and Dogs

This Friday at the Pink Heart Society your editor Natasha Oakley tells you all about 'The Truth About Cats and Dogs' ...

I love this movie. It's a kind of 'Cyrano de Bergerac' with female leads and a happy ending. By now you *must* all know how important I think happy endings are. *g*

Janeane Garofalo plays Dr. Abby Barnes, 'The Truth About Cats and Dogs' question-and-answer radio show host who gives great advice to hopeless pet owners. She's intelligent, funny, successful - but she's not the leggy blonde she thinks men want. In fact, she's normal!

And I think that's what I enjoy most about this movie. Janeane does a truly fantastic job of showing what it feels like to lack self-confidence and be lonely. I'm with her every step of the way ..

One caller to her radio show is Ben, a photographer, played by British actor Ben Chaplin. He's having difficulty with a Great Dane on rollerskates ...

Charmed by her voice and her humour he wants to meet her - and don't you just know she's going to do something daft when he asks 'What do you look like?'???

It's a split second decision but Abby describes the model on a poster with no intention of turning up to their 'meeting'.

(Actually, that's a bit mean, isn't it!)

But then Brian comes to find Abby at work and it all gets very complicated because the girl in the poster is Noelle, Abby's neighbour, who's visiting the studio. So Abby becomes Donna and Noelle becomes Abby and Brian is caught in the middle.




And, of course, Brian likes what he sees. Who could blame him? But it's the woman at the end of the phone he falls in love with - a long, funny and seductive phone call which goes on all night btw.

I love the bit where Noelle has to 'play' the vet.

Noelle: You mean you want me to shove my finger up that turtle's ass?

Not being a country/animal girl I'd be equally fazed in that situation. I also love the bits where Abby trys to find out what hope there is for her.Abby: So say you meet one of these no sparks women, and you really take the time to get to know her and then you become intellectually stimulated by her. You just really enjoy her personality, thereby igniting all your lust and passion. Have you ever thought about that?
Brian: Are you going to eat that?

and

Abby: If you were trapped in Biosphere 2 for three years, who would you bring: Time Magazine's 'Woman of the Year' or Playboy's 'Playmate of the Year'?

I suppose Brian should, perhaps, have recognised Abby and Donna's voices as being the same but I'm prepared to suspend disbelief ... right until the end.

The Truth About Cats and Dogs is a movie I watch again and again - and for that reason I give it a:

Warm & Fuzzy Rating of 7/10.

Natasha

Natasha's latest release is: Accepting The Boss's Proposal a Harlequin Romance.

Check out more about this book at her website!

Or check out what Natasha is working on now at her Blog.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Natasha, blast from the past! I absolutely love this film and I'll always remember it cos I watched it when I was in Japan for work training and went with a lady from Argentina and a lovely but naively innocent lady from Pakistan who asked at the end of the film if she indeed was pregnant :D We all just fell over laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I so love that 'well ... I made a lot of calls that night'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sorry Natasha but this is another movie that I'm not keen on!

    But isn't that the great thing about taste. Not that there's no accounting for it, but that there is such a wide variety so those of us who create stuff can hope that someone out there will love it!

    Now I'm getting really nervous about my November one which is a little left of centre to say the least ;).

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  4. But then you like football, Ally!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't watched that movie in a while...I'll have to go rent it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just watched this one the other day--I got a free DVD after buying Kelloggs cereals and sending in the proofs of purchase! LOL I'd only seen it once before, and I really laughed this time.

    Then I watched Just Like Heaven. It was movies-for-inspiration week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just hate the ending for 'Just Like Heaven' they tried on the test audiences? I'd have absolutely hated it if they'd done that.

    ReplyDelete