Friday, September 22, 2006

Friday Film Night - Someone Like You


This weeks choice for Friday Film Night at The Pink Heart Society is Someone Like You, (released in the UK as Animal Attraction)…

“The story about the one that got away and the one she never saw coming…”

Alright, so the fact that Hugh Jackman was in this film wouldn’t at all draw women to it in the first place, would it? Nah – didn’t think so…And ladies, he’s gorgeous in this film!!!

Jane: What is on your neck?
Eddie: I bit myself shaving.

As our hero, Eddie Alden, Hugh is a real ladies man, of the worst variety! He’s cocky, arrogant, King of the One Night Stand, and has a wise-ass answer for just about anything. And yet there’s just something so darn appealing about that bad boy image that you can’t help but know why women fall for him!

Enter our heroine, Jane Goodale, played by Ashley Judd (who I hadn’t seen in a film before and knew only as part of the country singing group The Judd’s). She’s a career girl, working on a Chat Show with a female host (played by Ellen Barkin) and it’s our heroine’s job to help co-ordinate the guests. When the show gets a new Producer (Greg Kinnear), he initially comes across as a good guy – Mr. Perfect in fact…

Jane: What are you thinking?
Eddie: You and Ray will live happily ever after with matching Volvos and chocolate labs.
Jane: Did you have *any* friends growing up?

So our heroine dates Ray, it’s perfect and wonderful and eventually she decides to move in with him, giving up the lease on her own apartment…. So they can live happily ever after…

Short film at this point you’d think…

But in the tradition of all good Romantic Comedies, and any Category Romance, the path to love is never smooth. So when Jane’s *perfect boyfriend* breaks her heart and she’s left homeless, she ends up moving in with the gorgeous Eddie. Lucky girl! And it’s only then the story really begins…

Jane: There are few things sadder in this life than watching someone walk away after they've left you, watching the distance between your bodies expand until there's nothing... but empty space and silence.
(Can’t tell you how much I want to have written that line!!!)

Enter the hilarious New Cow Theory. With an obsession borne from a broken heart, Jane researches an article she reads in a paper and becomes obsessed with why men do the things they do. She compares their behavior to the behavior of animals and Eddie becomes a prime source of research information for her…

Eddie: These are *people* not cows!

Jane’s best friend (Marisa Tomei) convinces her to put her theories into a magazine column, under a false identity of course - and the whole world seems to take to reading it. Which means it’s only a matter of time before the chat show Jane works for wants to interview the *author* of the column!!! But Jane doesn’t want the world to know it’s her… She doesn’t want Eddie to know it’s her… you see, her opinion of Eddie is changing…

Eddie: It's over. Why can't you just let it go?
Jane: I can't.
Eddie: Why?
Jane: Because I was happy. Because if this theory is wrong, men don't leave all women, Eddie, they leave me.
Eddie: I know it hurts. I know. It's so hard to believe that something that wonderful can ever happen to us again.

‘Cos Eddie isn’t as shallow a guy as she’d like to think he is. Oh no. Eddie has had his heart broken too… He just chose to handle it differently from Jane…

If you want a film that takes the troubles of Modern Day romance and approaches them with humor, a smidge of realistic heartbreak and a healthy dose of hope, then you’ll enjoy this film as much as I did. It’s not up there with the classics of our time but its fun, it has plenty of LOL moments… and it has Hugh, with and without a shirt….Nuff said…

Warm & Fuzzy Rating of 7.5…

Trish's latest release is White-Hot!

Her Website

Her Blog.

11 comments:

  1. Trish - I do believe this was the first time I saw Hugh on screen. Wow! He played sort of a louse, actually both men did if I recall and our heroine took it, for most of the movie. But I kept thinking, Who Is This Guy? Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never seen this one. But Ashley wasn't in the Judds, that was her mom Naomi and her sister Wynona :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh Trish, I bought this a couple of days ago but it hasnt arrived yet! Cant wait...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I watched the beginning of this film with all the cows and the bulls etc I thought it was going to be boogelly, but it wasn't!! It made me laugh, and hide my eyes so I could only watch through my fingers, and I cried as well, and it was really good!! I was very pleasantly surprised. I must say I like the Aus/USA title better than the UK one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a confession to make - I've never seen any of Hugh's movies. It looks like that may change... Thanks for the recommendation Trish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, you are very brave to have admitted as much!!! But then again when I think of all the joy that awaits you...

    This one is a great example of a well handled bad boy hero. Hugh is a womaniser of the worst kind. He is sharp, cool, sarcastic, nasty and almost irritatingly male. But in the end we do find out he has his reasons. And those lines Trish highlighted - love em love em love em!!!

    Sue, once you have seen this, check out 'Paperback Hero', 'X-Men' is faaaabulous, 'Oklahoma' is gooooorgeous, and I cannot wait for the upcoming Christian Bale/Hugh Jackman movie 'The Prestige'!

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I have so much catching up to do! Thanks Ally. Right, I'm off to add a few 'must-see' movies to hubby's DVD rental list...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't WAIT for The Prestige!

    Ally, every day when this loads, the pics always move down and down and down and then they're on the words...I refresh but it doesn't help, finally if I hit refresh like 3 times in a row, the pics disappear and I can actually read the column.

    Just thought I'd let you know.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this movie...almost worn the DVD out...Hugh, the as a bad boy...and Ashley...oh my goodness. Those lines Trish highlighted are perfect...
    Sorry this isn't 'high-brow' but this is one of my all time favorites.
    I like Hugh better in this than in Kate and Leopold.
    Hugh is definitely hunk hero material!!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too Carol. Kate and Leopold had some great moments and the gorgeous Leif Schreiber and the guy from Clueless, but it didn't really do it for me.

    Donna, I'm sorry but I've never had that problem with blogger before. Sometimes the piccies can take a while to load on some blogs, but apart from that I have no ideas!!

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear I'm not the only fan of this film... I only discovered it this year...

    Can't believe you all kept it secret!!!

    ReplyDelete